Grow bag advice please

• 4 Replies

Grubbypaws

Grow bag advice please
« on: June 28, 2024, 12:59 »
I have 3 courgettes in a grow bag. Two are healthy and producing cucumbers. The one on the right produced one good cucumber but is now looking very unwell and goes droopy at the first hint of sunshine. I am presuming it is infected with weevil grubs. Question: should I remove it and hope that most of the grubs come out with it or am I just doomed? Husband is worried that if I take it out the grubs will not have this food supply and search out the healthy plant. First time growing cucumbers and first time I have used a grow bag so any advice welcome.

Fisherman

Re: Grow bag advice please
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2024, 17:10 »
Well that's a first courgette plants producing cucumbers :D
Cucumbers can be fickle and it may not be vine weevil grubs causing the problem. Too much water can easily cause them to rot and wilt. Too little water will also cause them to wilt and I suspect this may be your problem. Try drip watering from a plastic bottle or similar.
If you do know its vine weevil I would dig it out and dispose of it with ALL the grubs.
I only ever grow 2 cucumbers per deep grow bag so if you remove one you should be fine. You don't mention whether they are in a greenhouse / poly tunnel or outside, mine are in a greenhouse. Once the plants are mature they need at least 2 litres of water per plant each day if it's warm and sunny or they will wilt. The variety I have growing at the moment are Passandra F1 and as a rough estimate they will produce about 25 fruit per plant, maybe more, if they are kept fed and watered. Hope that helps.

Grubbypaws

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2024, 17:20 »
They are in a mini greenhouse with the top off. They have been watered well; two plants in the same grow bag are thriving but one is not. It perks up by the morning but then as the sun comes around it wilts horrendously. It is still able to put out some new growth but the cucumbers are not growing. That is why I am thinking weevils, I dont think it has enough of a root system left to cope with daytime temperatures but it perks up at night.

Fisherman

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2024, 19:01 »
Sounds like it has some form of root or stem damage or something preventing it accessing water. Worth trying over watering on the plant in question to see if that changes the situation although in our now winter conditions this could cause an adverse reaction. Slug damage to the stems can also cause the plants to have difficulty taking in water so that's also worth checking. Another possibility is that the adjacent plant has grown healthier / quicker and is absorbing all the water. Again over watering may help prove if this is the problem. Cucumbers like to die at the first opportunity so if the the situation doesn't improve I would have a gentle dig down in the root system and see what's going on underground

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2024, 22:44 »
I would be very careful about overwatering - risk of causing rot at the stem of all the plants
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
Grow Bag Advice

Started by Daiboy80 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 16, 2021, 17:25
by rowlandwells
xx
Hello and any advice on what green manure to grow?

Started by francisgreen on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 27, 2009, 10:43
by dougsta
xx
Advice on how to grow tomatoes in growbags

Started by Vagabond on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 17, 2020, 14:47
by Growster...
xx
Any advice on how to grow celery and leeks?

Started by carlotta on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 27, 2013, 12:05
by carlotta

Page created in 0.457 seconds with 36 queries.