Whitefly infestations

• 3 Replies

Twood

• Experienced Member
Whitefly infestations
« on: June 27, 2024, 11:47 »
Morning everyone
I hope you have some sunshine where ever you are today.
Whitefly....never usually a problem on the veg crops until this year  :ohmy:
Sprouts ( ive had cabbage white infestations) cauliflowers and the seed heads on some sutherland kale ive left for the bees. It looks like a dense grey mould there are so many of them

The sprouts and cauliflowers are covered not that this has stopped the aphids. Any suggestions for non chemical management other than leaf removal??

I actually haven't seen hardly any cabbage white butterflies so far this year. Anyone else noticed this?

Thanks in advance
Twood
Happy Gardening May your plot be abundant in veg and free from slugs ! :)

Grubbypaws

Re: Whitefly infestations
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2024, 10:38 »
Last year My PSB were heavily infected. Every time I saw a ladybird I placed it in a pot and took it to feast on the bugs and it worked! I did the same with my gooseberry bush, Invicta. Its new growth always gets heavily infested with greenfly, none this year!!!

Mr Dog

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2024, 14:04 »
Morning everyone
I hope you have some sunshine where ever you are today.
Whitefly....never usually a problem on the veg crops until this year  :ohmy:
Sprouts ( ive had cabbage white infestations) cauliflowers and the seed heads on some sutherland kale ive left for the bees. It looks like a dense grey mould there are so many of them

The sprouts and cauliflowers are covered not that this has stopped the aphids. Any suggestions for non chemical management other than leaf removal??

I actually haven't seen hardly any cabbage white butterflies so far this year. Anyone else noticed this?

Thanks in advance
Twood

Saw my first cabbage whites yesterday - one of which had somehow got under the butterfly netting although fortunately I got it out quite easily.

Grubbypaws

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2024, 09:54 »
Last year My PSB were heavily infected. Every time I saw a ladybird I placed it in a pot and took it to feast on the bugs and it worked! I did the same with my gooseberry bush, Invicta. Its new growth always gets heavily infested with greenfly, none this year!!!

I am not sure whether it is done to quote oneself but I wanted to share my latest ladybird experiment. One of my broad bean plants was chosen by ants as their aphid farm. Rather than spray and squish them I decided to see if I could use them as a good food supply. I gathered a few ladybirds and some larvae and moved them to the plant. I then went on holiday for 10 days. On my return I cant find a single aphid! Somewhere there are some very fat ladybirds!

xx
Whitefly

Started by Springlands on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 07, 2012, 11:59
by Springlands
xx
whitefly

Started by snow white on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 01, 2014, 10:08
by moose
xx
Whitefly

Started by hubballi on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 01, 2013, 10:12
by surbie100
xx
whitefly

Started by ladybird on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 24, 2006, 13:07
by Oliver

Page created in 0.636 seconds with 40 queries.