Using powdered egg shells

• 9 Replies

wcndave

Using powdered egg shells
« on: June 22, 2024, 19:50 »
I put egg shells in the oven to dry out, when cooking, and then use a blender to create a powder, which at the end of year i just distribute over my allotment.  Is there a better strategy or use?  For example, should i spread during the year? only certain plants? just add to compost? is there too much calcium and would I be liming too much? is there a certain area/plants that would benefit the most?  Any advice welcome, as I have a whole bucket of egg shell powder now!

wcndave

Re: Using powdered egg shells
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2024, 22:31 »
anything?

greenjay

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2024, 07:54 »
I have no experience of dried eggshell and their use. I add mine to the compost heap where they are slow to decompose.
Spread thinly I wouldn't think they make a big difference to pH or calcium levels but don't really know. Sorry.

AndyRVTR

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2024, 10:42 »
There's only one veg I use powdered eggs shells on, and that's my tomato/chilli's when planting them into their final stations.
I fill up my containers with the usual compost, and then mix in a good scoop of calcium powder into the hole for the plant, just gently mixing it in.
I've found that it helps prevent blossom end rot on both my toms and chilli's!

KalisDad

• Adopt. Dont Shop
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2024, 12:50 »
Can you add the to water for watering in situe to ward of BER or is it better to do when planting in final positions?
Dad of a beautiful Cyrpus rescue called Kali (she's in the picture), A dog from my favourite place, what a dream

AndyRVTR

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2024, 14:24 »
Can you add the to water for watering in situe to ward of BER or is it better to do when planting in final positions?

Good question! Honest answer is I don't know, it certainly couldn't do any harm!

Sands

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2024, 19:54 »
Can`t answer your questions, only to say I crush the shells by hand and spread around areas slugs like....esp. celery.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2024, 01:22 »
On the subject of "too much lime" I will share the following.

I get decent tomatoes here in my Georgia home. However, I recall them doing much better in the garden my parents had, in Indianapolis (center of the State of Indiana, where the soil is "glacial till" (soil developed on pulverized rock, ground up by huge glaciers). Out of curiosity, I looked up my parent's soil type in a national soil database; the soil is 50 % calcium carbonate (lime)! Northern Indiana limestone rock pulverized by glaciers and pushed south.  It's no wonder my father was able to grow over 100 tomatoes on a plant one year! Compare that to the dozen (or less) tomatoes per plant on my Georgia plants grown on acid soil , but given pelleted dolomitic lime.

Apparently it is difficult to provide too much lime, more is better.

"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2024, 18:12 »
You do just need to be a little conscious of what you're going to grow in that section of ground the following year - spuds wouldn't be too happy if you had very high calcium levels (lots of scab).
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

snowdrops

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2024, 20:43 »
I can’t seethe benefit of adding crushed egg shells to water tbh, as if you added them, mixed it up & watered onto plants, you might as well just crush,sprinkle on the soil & then water. I’d think in the water they’d just stick to the sides of the can etc , it’s not as if you’re suggesting soaking them or something. Have you seen it advertised somewhere & with what rationale?
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

question
powdered lime

Started by viettaclark on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 27, 2009, 00:08
by viettaclark
xx
Nut shells???

Started by lmpd on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 02, 2012, 18:33
by Trillium
xx
Sea shells

Started by Offwego on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 01, 2018, 22:46
by Aunt Sally
xx
Egg shells

Started by rockyracoon on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 02, 2010, 12:07
by rockyracoon

Page created in 0.656 seconds with 46 queries.