What’s actually doing well for you so far?

• 55 Replies

AnneB

Re: What’s actually doing well for you so far?
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2024, 07:34 »
My Kelvedon Wonder peas have done really well.  These are the third picking so far.
My prep isn't nearly as thorough as Aunt Sally.  We rotate and put them in a raised bed manured the previous autumn. I don't sow direct now as neighbours have chickens that attract rats.  I sow in seed trays and transplant them when about 1-2 inches tall.  It takes an age but works for me. I then net.  I didn't spray for pea moth and the crop is unaffected this year, no damage at all.
Other things doing well are Wizard Field Beans and strawberries.  Potatoes in bags and blackcurrants average.  Everything else is either behind or a total disaster.
20240707_131357_resized.jpg

missmoneypenny

« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2024, 11:42 »
Nothings been amazing but my Charlotte potatoes have done very well, maybe because I grew them on well rested soil and it’s rained a lot. The damson tree is laden with fruit whereas last year I got absolutely nothing out of it. Also grew turnips for the first time and it’s been successful, it’s about like growing radishes, sow and forget but protect against molluscs where necessary. Undemanding plants.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2024, 11:44 by missmoneypenny »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2024, 14:44 »
Errmm, weeds?
Seriously, I couldn't really say that anything is actually doing well I've had a couple of trays of salad leaves and 1 of spring onions, need to sow some more soon.

Tomatoes in the g/house are very late this year, only a few are beginning to turn colour, I've grown 2 cucumber plants but only had a 3 fruit, between them. No flower buds yet on my peppers...
Runner beans are climbing well but no flowers yet... peas seem a bit slow to grow as well, although they were planted late.
The Tromba & Uchili Kuri squash on the trellis are growing huge leaves, but so far only 1 flower per plant.
It's just one of those years when I ask myself is it worth it?

Enfield Glen

• Experienced Member
  • Borough champion 12 times
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2024, 08:27 »
Onions and Shallots are excellent, best ever I think. Peas doing good and Runners covered with flowers.

After all that rain last week Courgetttes went crazy, must have harvested at least 30 last week.
Onions.jpg

KalisDad

• Experienced Member
  • Adopt. Dont Shop
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2024, 18:18 »
Peas and beans going great guns, everything else is struggling so far, BER on courgettes but not on toms!!!, corn looks good as do onions and leeks apart from a little rust
Dad of a beautiful Cyrpus rescue called Kali (she's in the picture), A dog from my favourite place, what a dream

KalisDad

• Experienced Member
  • Adopt. Dont Shop
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2024, 19:46 »
Errmm, weeds?
Seriously, I couldn't really say that anything is actually doing well I've had a couple of trays of salad leaves and 1 of spring onions, need to sow some more soon.

Tomatoes in the g/house are very late this year, only a few are beginning to turn colour, I've grown 2 cucumber plants but only had a 3 fruit, between them. No flower buds yet on my peppers...
Runner beans are climbing well but no flowers yet... peas seem a bit slow to grow as well, although they were planted late.
The Tromba & Uchili Kuri squash on the trellis are growing huge leaves, but so far only 1 flower per plant.
It's just one of those years when I ask myself is it worth it?
My Tromba are doing ok, lots of small fruit but around 1 inch long, I had a courgette plant die on me for the first time ever! as with a previous post toms are struggling but cucs are doing well, got 2 to pick tomorrow, I've done 4 sowings for carrot early nantes and autumn king but will only harvest a few carrots, chillies are doing well on the window sill though and I'll save the seed for next year, everything else has either germinated and died and not germinated.
Its been a serious test this year but thankfully I love digging the hoe out and giving the plot a good going over. will persist until its impossible to grow anything though :)

Cavolo Hero

« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2024, 07:54 »
Have been an allotmenteer’s worst combination of being busy with work and ill so have not gone down for 6 days  :ohmy:
Think the seed grown onions are doing ok, courgettes are catching up (sorry to hear about yours Kalisdad) and tomatoes and cukes in the greenhouse are coming along too.
Will be heading over to the plot later so will report back!
EnfieldGlen, those look fantastic!

Marijke Jones

• Newbie on the veggie growing front
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2024, 07:02 »
My potatoes in the grow bags are beyond believe. I had a huge crop of both Alberta  (improved Bintje) and Desiree. Both potatoes are huge! And the tomatoes are growing very well against the new fence, out of the wind, and are full of flowers. The peas are a write off as it was damaged by a falling dead tree that had to be removed.

Odders

« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2024, 23:47 »
My container grown Charlotte potatoes are doing better than the past three years, mainly I think because the containers were on soil, rather than the path & the roots went out into the beds, so had their own source of water.
Broad beans did fantastic; 46kg with pods.
I've been saving the best two bulbs of garlic every year from stuff which originated in Aldi & this is year five - best crop yet:
Garlic1 (Large).jpg

missmoneypenny

« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2024, 13:24 »
That’s amazing Odders my garlic is the size of walnuts this year. What was the variety? Where in the country are you?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2024, 18:58 »
Peas  :D
IMG_20240803_145755745~2.jpg

Nobbie

« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2024, 21:00 »
After a couple of disappointing years where the plants have produced nothing, it looks like I’ll get a decent crop of squash this year. The butternuts have gone mad and there are lots of fruits developing already 6-8” long and growing quickly.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2024, 21:17 »
Right now, Telegraph cucumbers and Cherokee Wax beans are producing very well, and have been for at least 2 months. More cucumbers than we need from two wire towers.

Late spring and early summer, early prolific straightneck squash (a yellow courgette type) did well (zucchini did not)

Mammoth Melting Sugar mangetout yielded well in the spring while it was cool.  All lettuce and spinach did well.

Tomatoes are NOT doing much. Still some hope for later in the summer. That's my fault. Too many other things interfering with gardening right now.

Peppers are coming on late, but I think we will have some good production.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Odders

« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2024, 01:05 »
That’s amazing Odders my garlic is the size of walnuts this year. What was the variety? Where in the country are you?

No idea what variety.
I started off with a garlic bulb from Aldi five years ago which had started sprouting & all I know is it's a hardneck.
Each year, I keep back the two best bulbs, put them in the fridge in late August, then split & plant the cloves in a 40 cell tray second week in October & plant out when the roots start showing at the base of the tray.
They either go in the polytunnel, or under a mini polytunnel in one of the beds.
I'm in West Cumbria & only a couple of miles from the coast, so mild winters most years but low summer temperatures too,

Cavolo Hero

« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2024, 05:58 »
Wow! Really impressed with your garlic @Odders and your peas @AuntSally

My garlic were rubbish in comparison to previous years but still useable.

I haven’t harvested any potatoes yet, but I doubt they’re any good as all the leaves were munched by the slimy army  :( so yours sound fabulous @MarijkeJones

Cucumbers have been amazing, and CFBs are starting to come in.
We’ve been eating cherry tomatoes by the handful (these are grown in the back garden mostly) but Mr CV brought back 5 ripe Black Krim yesterday from the plot.
The success this year are undoubtedly the onions. I WILL take a photo when I head down there later today.

Lovely to hear things are coming along great for everyone after such a dreadful start of the season!  :)

Page created in 1.489 seconds with 54 queries.