What’s actually doing well for you so far?

• 36 Replies

Cavolo Hero

What’s actually doing well for you so far?
« on: June 20, 2024, 15:53 »
Initially was going to ask what’s NOT doing well this year, but from my own experience, that’s quite a long list so thought I’d rephrase it  :lol:

So…
We’ve had cucumbers, strawberries and lettuces so I guess they’re doing ok. Onions are looking good ~ touch wood ~  :wub:
Brassica leaves are huge so I guess they’re doing well BUT obviously too early to say if they’ll head up, produce curds etc.
Things that are usually banked on for being easy but not this year - beans, peas, beetroot, courgettes - I’ve had trouble with germination!
Things that have been slugged to oblivion are sunflowers, sweet peppers, potatoes (leaves have disappeared overnight.  :ohmy: )

How are you getting on?

Potty Plotty Lotty

• https://thelazyallotmenteer.wordpress.com/
Re: What’s actually doing well for you so far?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2024, 17:24 »
Peas are doing very well for me-that's not normal!

Tomatoes in polytunnel are happy-I won't mention the ones outside

Soft fruit seems to be doing well.

Potatoes look good above ground.

Not much else...  :(

Nobbie

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2024, 21:01 »
I’ve been impressed with my mange toute that have filled the gap left when I stopped cutting the asparagus. I think the colder weather has helped the crop as they haven’t given up after the first flush of pods. Early spuds have worked well in tubs and lasted until the open ground planted ones are ready.

missmoneypenny

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2024, 21:48 »
Doing well: cabbages, raspberries, turnips ( new discovery and I’d say as easy as radishes), Broad beans, pots looking good but can’t see what’s going on underground . Not so good : garlic ( tiny bulbs), courgettes , aubergines ( completely stalled). French beans a lot smaller than they should be by now. Lettuce completely failed to germinate.
Tomatoes look ok , fingers crossed against blight. All my plants are outdoors.

Blewit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2024, 06:29 »
Overwintered broad beans did really well (all harvested)
Peas mostly harvested, not many left now,
Lettuce really good (Gilaad and Dark Roden)
Radish cropping well (Rudi)
Eating DFB's from the greenhouse and PT ones should be ready in a week
PT garlic was great but outside crop were rusty and small
Toms inside and out are forming nicely and look promising
First summer cabbage this week (Golden Acre) was crisp and sweet
Spinach was good but has now finished, perpetual spinach was cropping great until the aphid arrived
Strawberries are lovely
Now eating the overwintering onions

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2024, 09:50 »
Pink fir apple pots in tubs are flowering and look really healthy. Purple-podded snap peas are climbing up to heaven and have some flowers on, D.F. beans - two got nobbled by slugs but are coming back whereas the other two in the same ground are flowering as my two reserve ones in the greenhouse, baby sweet corn also doing well, parsley planted out yesterday, but leeks not very thick enough at the moment so I'll wait a couple of weeks then plant them out. Strawbs going great guns and have millions of them but they're getting eaten by slugs and some small wormy things, rasps looking healthy but no fruit as yet which is to be expected.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Odders

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2024, 02:08 »
Purple sprouting broccoli, lettuce, beetroot, spring onions all cropping well. Broad beans look promising but a trial pick says the pods need more time to let the beans fill out.
Outside garlic's been 'moderate' due to rust, whereas those in the polytunnel are looking great & I'll leave another few weeks (variety in the tunnel is 'Aldi', now in its fourth year of growing & saving from the original purchase & it's been bigger & better every year).

Snow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2024, 09:18 »
Of the 40 brassicas I planted in April, 3 survived the slugs. Onions also all eaten, over 240 of them. I have planted/replanted  over 30 winter and summer squash, two have survived. I only have space for maybe seven, I have replanted them so many times. Outdoor chillis and tomatillos  have been decimated too. No early carrots, about four meters all eaten. Final may sowing of parsnips has come through, resown four times.

Lettuce and spinach all did well unbelievably, the slugs just went for the brassicas. Fruit bushes are untouched. Garlic looks good. Planting all my beetroot, PSB, kohl rabi and swede soon. Fingers crossed.

AndyRVTR

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2024, 09:31 »
Growing well.... cabbages, spring onions, parsnips, onions, lettuce, beetroot, swede, tomatoes,  chillis & green beans.

Not growing well... sweetcorn, courgettes, carrots, early potatoes, 2 types of maincrop potatoes & radishes!

Ali T

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2024, 19:01 »
Doing well-
Potatoes - really good foliage and so far (2 lots dug up) tubers are good in number and size.
Courgettes which were sown a bit late are ready to go out and look good.
'Indigo Rose' tomatoes in greenhouse looking really striking and sturdy with fruits turning black.
NOT doing well-
Baby sweetcorn
Onions/garlic/shallots all had to come up as devastated by a combo of rust, neck rot and ALM
French beans very slow but picking up (fingers crossed)
Squashes (that romped away last year) refusing to grow
'Tigrella' and 'Sunbaby' tomatoes - sown exactly like the 'Indigo Rose' but they are sulking and very slow - no idea why.

Blewit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2024, 05:12 »
Picked the first toms from the greenhouse yesterday - two Sungold and two Honeycomb. Beetroot's ready too.

AnneB

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2024, 07:35 »
Peas, field beans, garlic, lettuce, potatoes, strawberries, figs, blueberries, blackcurrants are all good.
Greenhouse tomatoes coming on, outside and polytunnel ones struggling.
Everything else is pretty much behind where it should be or has been eaten by slugs.

Cavolo Hero

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2024, 07:03 »
Hopefully this burst of warm weather will get things going.
I know my winter squashes and sweet corn have suddenly taken the notion of actually doing some growing in the last week or so!

Impressed that you’re already picking tomatoes Blewit! Mine are starting to come on but nowhere near ripe  :)

greenjay

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2024, 22:11 »
I noticed a surge of growth now it's warmed up a bit. Especially courgettes and sweet corn.

snowdrops

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2024, 22:33 »
Hopefully this burst of warm weather will get things going.
I know my winter squashes and sweet corn have suddenly taken the notion of actually doing some growing in the last week or so!

Impressed that you’re already picking tomatoes Blewit! Mine are starting to come on but nowhere near ripe  :)

2 cucumbers in the greenhouse have quadrupled in size sinc this warm weather appeared, after they’d just sat in they’re big pots for 2weeks!
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Page created in 0.959 seconds with 52 queries.