New greenhouse!

• 1 Replies

ethump

New greenhouse!
« on: June 20, 2024, 12:15 »
Hi!

Very new to all this growing malarkey and looking forward to getting stuck in. I've managed to grab a greenhouse off FB marketplace. It's in reasonable fettle but needs some tidying up and spare parts. I have some questions if I may..

1. Mounting the frame. I plan to put down some concrete block and secure the base directly to the block with Tapcon screws (and SS washers). Any issues with that? I see some folk put a wood layer on top of the block... is there a reason for that or am I good with my Tapcon plan?

2. When I dismantled the greenhouse, most of the rubber sealing broke. It's become very brittle and I'd look to put new in. I've attached a cross-section photo of it - I can't find like for like replacement. It slides into a groove on the aluminium structure. Any ideas where I can get a roll of replacement sealant?

3. Should I paint the aluminium frame? Aesthetically it'll look better but I've read painting aluminium is a pain requiring treatments. If someone can recommend a direct one-or-two coat paint if such a thing exists? If it's a faff, I'm not going to bother.

I'm sure I'll have more questions as my build progresses...

cheers, e
PXL_20240617_084039065.jpg

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: New greenhouse!
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2024, 18:38 »
Welcome to the site and congrats on your new greenhouse!

On Q3, I wouldn't bother. Once you've got it back together again, you're not going to want to dismantle it for painting maintenance. I'd just leave it looking all the same aluminium colour, without the risk of later peeling etc.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
Greenhouse too hot?

Started by mclarkuk1 on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

2 Replies
Last post April 30, 2011, 12:57
by mumofstig
xx
Just been given a greenhouse!

Started by samnorfolk on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

6 Replies
Last post March 07, 2013, 21:28
by Sparkyrog
xx
new greenhouse nearly done

Started by LILLILEAF on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

6 Replies
Last post December 25, 2016, 15:34
by oldgrunge
xx
Greenhouse too big?

Started by tomlxx on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

6 Replies
Last post April 18, 2015, 18:17
by ARPoet

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 30 queries.