New here ! Advise for a new plot !!!

• 7 Replies

colls10

New here ! Advise for a new plot !!!
« on: June 18, 2024, 09:59 »
Hi everyone . New here . Been out of work for couple years due to caring for now passed parents . Have managed to get an allotment to help with getting my mind better !! Always loved flowers plants gardening etc, but wanted to go to next stage !! An allotment . So myself and wife finally got one . It was overgrown with a yellowish grass, which we have had strimmer down to about ankle height :
What’s a good way to proceed ! We have kind of marked up a few beds , but think they are too big , 3mx4m, and around 5 of them ????  I don’t want to use weee killers, and the no dig as easier or less work it seems, really can’t afford to keep buying organic matter etc ?
So, if myself and wife started on one bed , can we did this over , so the short grass is turned over , exposing soil with the grass underneath ?? If so , would this then need to be left ? Before adding any manure / compost etc ??
Have ordered a few rolls of the weed proventer : cover and pegs , and looking to cover the areas we not yet working on with this .
Would you then cover the turned over bed with this aswell and plant through or wait ?
Sorry , sooo many questions .
We have a Delapatated shed, no water butt or guttering to collect water yet , it’s just a fair block of land with ankle high yellow grass with 4 black current bushes and a raspberry bush ( suggestion to us was to remove these bushes as the birds will eat all the blackcurrants and the raspberry tree bush has got away with itself !!!

Can grass and soil be added to a compost heap if one made ?

Excited but a bit overwhelmed

snowdrops

Re: New here ! Advise for a new plot !!!
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2024, 17:21 »
Hi there & welcome. It’s an addictive hobby, but so worth it. I went down the no dig route totally about 6 years ago and often wonder why the hell I didn’t do it before. I don’t buy in compost but source well rotted manure and wood chippings. Lots of people who don’t do no dig, often say it is for lazy people & that definitely isn’t true as I make about 5 cubic meters of compost a year which I ‘turn’ as after as I’m able. Also after the first year of maybe 6” of mulch you only need to add 1” each autumn. The 6” recommended first application is on unturned pasture land. It really isn’t any more manure/mulch than is traditionally added when single or double digging, just one of those fallacies that people spout who don’t really know! I did garden traditionally for 30+ years but find no dig so much better.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2024, 21:14 »
It is also worth knowing that the site owner has a vast library of articles and information.

https://www.allotment-garden.org/articles-advice/

Plus a whole section on allotments.

https://www.allotment-garden.org/allotment-information/

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2024, 10:48 »
I found this one as well.  Thought I remembered it from somewhere  :)

https://www.allotment-garden.org/garden-diary/6132/no-dig-gardening-vs-digging/

Now my take on all your other questions, which I didn’t have time to really think through yesterday.

I do both dig, no dig and green manures on the plot and do no dig raised beds at home.  If you are starting with a blank canvas, I would encourage you to experiment a bit and see what works for you.  There are people who are set on one way being better than the other, but in my view they both have up sides and down sides, which is why I do both.  It is allowed  :D

I find getting enough material to effectively mulch no dig areas is not so easy and I compost with a passion.  I also found last winter for some reason, all my mulches disappeared into the soil.  My soil always has a lot of worms in it, but there were a lot more than usual when I investigated this spring.  I’m blaming a mild wet winter and them for the mulch going and am making even more than usual this year to compensate, but it is a pain.

You can grow through weed membrane and it might be a good idea to tame bits of the plot.  I have done this in the past.  If you just cover areas, I wouldn’t dig first as the soil will compact back down and you will have to do it again.  Do check your weeds though.  If you have couch grass, bindweed, marestail or the like, they happily survive under weed membrane and will pop back up when you uncover them.

I know you have said you don’t want to use weed killer, but I would think about doing a one-off spray.  You can clear anything by hand given enough will power, donkey work and sweat, but it is not easy.  Don’t believe stories of covering pernicious weeds with cardboard and mulch and everything is fine.  It is a very different thing to convert a plot with well cultivated soil into no dig and a bit of weedy land which has not been really looked after.  Been there, done that, got the blisters to prove it.

I think your beds may be too big.  The idea is not to walk on the soil, so you need then to be thin enough that you can lean in from both sides and do any work you need to do. 

You can put grass and soil into a compost heap, but far better is to make a turf stack and cover it.  I did that with masses of couch grass infested clumps of soil and got a lovely pile of topsoil after a year.

Overwhelmed and excited is where we all started, so ask loads of questions, do a bit at a time and make sure you don’t make it a chore, but something you enjoy.  Plot time is perfect for healing a troubled mind, contemplating the good things in life and growing anything and then putting it on your plate will give you so much satisfaction  :)

KalisDad

• Adopt. Dont Shop
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2024, 19:03 »
Hi everyone . New here . Been out of work for couple years due to caring for now passed parents . Have managed to get an allotment to help with getting my mind better !! Always loved flowers plants gardening etc, but wanted to go to next stage !! An allotment . So myself and wife finally got one . It was overgrown with a yellowish grass, which we have had strimmer down to about ankle height :
What’s a good way to proceed ! We have kind of marked up a few beds , but think they are too big , 3mx4m, and around 5 of them ????  I don’t want to use weee killers, and the no dig as easier or less work it seems, really can’t afford to keep buying organic matter etc ?
So, if myself and wife started on one bed , can we did this over , so the short grass is turned over , exposing soil with the grass underneath ?? If so , would this then need to be left ? Before adding any manure / compost etc ??
Have ordered a few rolls of the weed proventer : cover and pegs , and looking to cover the areas we not yet working on with this .
Would you then cover the turned over bed with this aswell and plant through or wait ?
Sorry , sooo many questions .
We have a Delapatated shed, no water butt or guttering to collect water yet , it’s just a fair block of land with ankle high yellow grass with 4 black current bushes and a raspberry bush ( suggestion to us was to remove these bushes as the birds will eat all the blackcurrants and the raspberry tree bush has got away with itself !!!

Can grass and soil be added to a compost heap if one made ?

Excited but a bit overwhelmed
Welcome and I hope you have a great time here, take your time and be aware that you will have lots of things go right and equally going bad that are sometimes outwith your control. My allotment saved me mentally and this year has been a challenge to say the least, embrace the challenge and keep going, check here for any questions as you'll not find anywhere better
Dad of a beautiful Cyrpus rescue called Kali (she's in the picture), A dog from my favourite place, what a dream

Potty Plotty Lotty

• https://thelazyallotmenteer.wordpress.com/
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2024, 21:09 »
And take lots of photos to remind you of your progress.  :)

Cavolo Hero

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2024, 17:46 »
How exciting!  :D

Lots of brilliant advice already so I’ll just say good luck and enjoy!
Definitely take lots of photos to remind yourselves of your progress  :)

Odders

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2024, 01:43 »
I'd make your beds 1.2m wide, with 0.4-0.5m wide paths in between. That means you can reach the middle from either side without walking on the beds.
If you're going 'no dig' then you're going to need a LOT of compost & corrugated cardboard in the first year.
A standard allotment's around 250m² so I'd aim at getting a third of it fully done in year one unless you're very fit.
That will still need a minimum of 100m² cardboard, allowing for overlap (places like Curry's or other electrical appliances are a great source for big sheets - take off the tape...) & 4.5m³ of compost.
For the latter, see if you have a domestic green waste composting facility nearby, as that's the least expensive option.
For wood chip paths, contact local tree surgeons, or keep an eye out for piles of wood chips when your council's been clearing undergrowth.
Oh & check out Charles Dowding's You Tube channel for all things 'no dig'.

xx
Little help and advise please.

Started by Riala on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post April 24, 2009, 15:07
by Aunt Sally
xx
can someone please advise me?

Started by krystal on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 29, 2011, 17:48
by Yorkie
xx
i am new and could do with a bit of advise please

Started by Noreen on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 03, 2009, 19:42
by Noreen
xx
Can anyone advise please?

Started by Lynne on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post November 09, 2008, 06:56
by JulesJ

Page created in 0.559 seconds with 45 queries.