Slugs and Snails EVERYWHERE

• 28 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator

rowlandwells

Re: Slugs and Snails EVERYWHERE
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2024, 15:04 »
I'm sure I was listening to a garden program on the TV the other day and someone said they sprayed there plants with a weak mix of chilli powder to deter slugs  I have used a mix of both Garlic and Chili powder with a dash of washing up liquid and it seemed to work on my brassicas with regular spraying of the mix and the veg tasted ok when cooked not a problem I also sprayed round the base of the plant mite be worth thinking about trying that method ?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2024, 18:19 »
Has anyone used nematodes?
If so where from and how effective.
I've found them good for potatoes in the past but haven't used for years but think I will have to this year.

We use nemaslug on our potatoes.  It does a good job !

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2024, 18:25 »
Worzel buys them from Nematodes Direct - nematodesdirect.co.uk 

Nobbie

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2024, 17:47 »
Another 181 today of various sizes. I reckon with a few hot days they’ll be looking for shelter under my planks, so should be a happy hunting ground.

Bryan and carol

« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2024, 07:22 »
I only use slug pellets where the birds can't get at them, i.e. under a mesh cover. Further, I always leave them inside an array of weighted plastic cups (e.g.  yoghurt pots) left on their sides so that the pellets don't touch the ground and they are less likely to get wet. The slugs seek them out, attracted by the smell, you don't need to scatter the pellets all over the soil. You can then dispose of the bodies where birds won't get them.

Cavolo Hero

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2024, 17:48 »
Another 181 today of various sizes. I reckon with a few hot days they’ll be looking for shelter under my planks, so should be a happy hunting ground.

Wow! I may have to try this! Genius  :)

I only use slug pellets where the birds can't get at them, i.e. under a mesh cover. Further, I always leave them inside an array of weighted plastic cups (e.g.  yoghurt pots) left on their sides so that the pellets don't touch the ground and they are less likely to get wet. The slugs seek them out, attracted by the smell, you don't need to scatter the pellets all over the soil. You can then dispose of the bodies where birds won't get them.

This is another great idea!

I lost count of how many I encountered today on my plot de-weeding mission  :(

Nobbie

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2024, 15:06 »
Still going up most days and getting between 50 and a 100 slugs, so there’s clearly a large population. I’m hoping I’ll start to see a bit of a decrease in number soon as damage to plants is reducing now. There are still a lot of fairly large ones and I want to make sure I get most of those to prevent them breeding to get ahead of the problem for next year. My plot neighbour has lost about three lots of beans that have all been munched down to the stems overnight.

Cavolo Hero

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2024, 17:41 »
I went to the plot specifically to see the damage after last night’s rain and I must’ve collected well over 100 within the first five minutes  :ohmy:
There were so many just sliding across the grass paths, it was like a mollusc traffic jam!
And we had several very heavy downpours throughout today so I can just imagine how many there are again now  :wacko:

Growster...

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2024, 17:53 »
I only discovered this morning, that the real culprits are the tiny slugs, and they do the damage!

The bigger ones also do get around a bit, but the good thing is that they also eat the small ones!

They're all a pain though...

Nobbie

« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2024, 18:21 »
I only discovered this morning, that the real culprits are the tiny slugs, and they do the damage!

The bigger ones also do get around a bit, but the good thing is that they also eat the small ones!

They're all a pain though...

I’ve found my planks of wood have encouraged lots of little beasties underneath them. Loads of centipedes and beetles which I assume are feeding on the results of my work and may also eat the smaller slugs. Time will tell. Only 44 yesterday.

InWarwickshire

« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2024, 16:22 »
You can help stop slugs by turning over your soil during the winter and exposing their eggs to the frosts and birds . you will see the whitish  pin head clusters particularly near where cabbage and the like were grown. Slugs cleverly lay their eggs near a food supply for when they hatch.

Anton

« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2024, 17:32 »
Thanks for the tip.

Anton

Nobbie

« Reply #28 on: Yesterday at 13:28 »
Only 47 today after not going up yesterday, but mostly larger ones. Even found a little toad under one of the planks. Still lots of little beasties around. Will probably get some nematodes for the potatoes as I think the little black slugs live underground.

xx
HHH no 15 Slugs and snails.

Started by mkhenry on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post October 16, 2007, 08:38
by brucesgirl
xx
Slugs and snails

Started by Marijke Jones on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post January 25, 2024, 22:05
by Aunt Sally
xx
Slugs and snails

Started by mattcavens on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 02, 2008, 13:37
by peapod
xx
Slugs and snails

Started by sawnee on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 27, 2007, 20:38
by hotterotter

Page created in 0.492 seconds with 52 queries.