Copper use on potatoes

• 2 Replies

Marijke Jones

• Newbie on the veggie growing front
Copper use on potatoes
« on: May 20, 2024, 11:49 »
Dear fellow gardener,

Someone gave me copper to use on my potatoes which I grow in bags. I bought all my varieties from a certified seller and they are doing marvellous, not a mark on them and the first flowers are forming. As they do so well why would I use copper? Is it necessary?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Copper use on potatoes
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2024, 12:51 »
I would be very cautious.

I realise you are in Ireland rather than the UK, but I guess that pesticide authorisation is likely to be similar.

The Defra garden database, when searched for the active ingredient 'copper', only authorises the use of copper oxychloride in grapes.

The RHS list of withdrawn chemicals lists copper oxychloride in all other situations, and copper sulphate (Cheshunt compound and Bordeaux mixture).

Just because a product is no longer licensed does not automatically mean that it is harmful to use; it can just mean that the licence owner did not want to go through the product renewal. But copper can be toxic, hence my reservations.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2024, 12:53 by Yorkie »
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

AnneB

Re: Copper use on potatoes
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2024, 14:54 »
Dear fellow gardener,

Someone gave me copper to use on my potatoes which I grow in bags. I bought all my varieties from a certified seller and they are doing marvellous, not a mark on them and the first flowers are forming. As they do so well why would I use copper? Is it necessary?
I suspect it might be intended to prevent blight, but I would not use it.   It has been banned for a reason.

xx
Copper spray treatment for potatoes

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 04, 2010, 16:24
by Anton
xx
what is it with slugs and copper

Started by new_2_veg on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post July 14, 2007, 10:59
by new_2_veg
xx
Has anyone used copper tape?

Started by Cavolo Hero on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 04, 2024, 10:56
by steven c
xx
Copper and slugs.

Started by legendaryone on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 22, 2007, 10:39
by Aidy

Page created in 0.433 seconds with 39 queries.