Tomato seeds sown, how wet should the compost be?

• 5 Replies

fatbelly

« on: February 26, 2008, 19:56 »
Hi I have just this minute sown my tomato seeds in 3 inch pots with compost.
I have not yet watered the compost because I am unsure how wet or dry the compost should be to encourage germination.
So what should I do? The pots are on a tray placed on a window sill facing south in the bedroom with a radiator underneath the sill.
Also any tips on what else I should do to get the darlings germinating will be welcome.

They are the first seeds I have planted and it feels good.  :D
99% Organic and 1% Slug Pellets.

Allotment holder since 27th May 2007.

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 20:06 »
I use cheap T***o freezer bags and make a little mini greenhouse by putting the pots in, blowing into them and tying the neck tight with those little wire ties.  Once they start to grow I remove the bag and water frequently.  I don't think the radiator will help much though, too much dry air.  Don't forget to turn every day so they grow straight.
Cheese makes everything better.

ParsnipPete

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 20:07 »
They'll dry out over that radiator pretty quick. Get the compost damp and cover with cling film.

ParsnipPete

tomato seeds
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 20:14 »
You should really soak the seed tray or pot  of compost prior to sowing the seeds, then put a clear plastic bag over the top, I find lidl freezer bags really good. As soon as the seeds emerge remove the bag to stop Botrytis (grey mould) settling in, then spray with water every day but do not saturate the compost or let dry out.

fatbelly

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 20:42 »
Thanks guys.
Pots now watered. covered with cling film and removed off the sill to the floor about 3 feet away from the Rad but still getting light.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 20:49 »
Quick guide to how wet your compost should be is pinch a little between your fingers if moisture comes out then it's about right.

Water new seeds by placing on the floor, water the pots/trays with a fine rose start away from the pots/trays and when the water is coming out of the rose pass the stream of water slowly over the pots/trays and you should get a silvering effect on the compost then you know its wet enough, you should continue to pass the stream over the pots/trays until its off them before you stop watering. This lessens the chances of the seeds being completely washed away or buried deep by the big drops you get out of a rose just as it starts and finishes. Allow pots/trays to drain for a minute or two before moving.

Phew! sounds long winded, but it works and it's a simple and effective way to get it right.  :D
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

xx
Sown me first seeds of this yr..

Started by CarlC on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post January 24, 2009, 21:58
by Jen
xx
which seeds need to be sown inside?

Started by flynn95 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 10, 2013, 20:45
by Madame Cholet
xx
Seeds I have sown today

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

35 Replies
Last post March 16, 2019, 19:33
by sunshineband
xx
Cell sown seeds

Started by raisedbed on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 07, 2010, 08:11
by savbo

Page created in 0.315 seconds with 36 queries.