Something different

• 10 Replies

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Something different
« on: February 26, 2008, 16:10 »
Well my circumstances has changed a little this year  :wink:  and now find myslef with a little plot to grow on (wanted chuks but wife still has rolling pin), so thought I might try Purple Queen Drawf Beans, supposed to be very tasty, anyone grow them?
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

gobs

Something different
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 20:45 »
Haven't, but have grown climbing purple French bean and it was ace. Good grower, vigorous and the beans were very tasty and tender and stringless. Blauhilde this was. Now I find that dwarf beans have a tendency to have even more tender pods, so I'd be surprised if you got disappointed.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

ditchdigger

• Experienced Member
Re: Something different
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 21:23 »
Quote from: "Aidy"
Well my circumstances has changed a little this year  :wink:  and now find myslef with a little plot to grow on (wanted chuks but wife still has rolling pin), so thought I might try Purple Queen Drawf Beans, supposed to be very tasty, anyone grow them?
We grew 'em a couple of years ago. my missus loved 'em.   they turn green when cooked though.
If it wasn't for chemicals we'd be organic.

Trillium

Something different
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 03:51 »
Royal Burgundy was my standby for many years - very tasty and yes, they do turn green when boiled or blanched, but they're a whole lot easier to spot on the bushes.

mdueal

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.averysmallholding.co.uk/
Something different
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 13:12 »
We grew them last year. Totally underestimated how many dwarf plants you would need to have a decent crop though. Was really dissapointed that they went green when cooked! Very tasty though - i think i decalred i would never eat shop french beans again (and i actually havent since!)

Wombat

Something different
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 21:55 »
How many dwarf plants would make a decent harvest?  My first year and I am thinking of putting some in, but have limited space.  I wonder if it would be better to get some climbing ones to get more beans from fewer plants?

ditchdigger

• Experienced Member
Something different
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2008, 22:03 »
Quote from: "mdueal"
Was really dissapointed that they went green when cooked!
 somewhere at the back of my mind I'm sure I've read about or seen one somewhere that stays purple when cooked, but I could be wrong.

Aidy

• Aidy Neal Photography
Something different
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2008, 22:04 »
Yea i would be interested to know how many too please.

gobs

Something different
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2008, 22:09 »
I'd say about 20 for a min, just like with your climbers, really. Somewhat different turn out they just occupy more space as don't grow upwards. Less produce, but not that shockingly less, if you keep picking and compare by number of plants, lot less produce by area.

Aidy

• Aidy Neal Photography
Something different
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2008, 22:10 »
Cheers Gobs

Wombat

Something different
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2008, 20:25 »
Thankyou Gobs.  I can fit about 10 in, but for 2 of us that should hopefully be ok.

Page created in 0.861 seconds with 30 queries.