Flour as a fertiliser?

• 3 Replies

moose

• Experienced Member
Flour as a fertiliser?
« on: October 24, 2023, 16:02 »
In spite of growing up on a farm and gardening for over 70 years I had not come across this before now. There are a number of articles on line and there does seem to be some point but I would be concerned that used as some suggest it would kill a lot of the good bugs as well as the not so useful. Any thoughts?

Nobbie

Re: Flour as a fertiliser?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2023, 17:57 »
Sounds like a fad to me. As you imply, I suspect it is likely to upset the soil micro biome by overloading it with starch.

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2023, 18:37 »
I've never heard of that one, but a web quick search is really enlightening!

And I've just chucked out a huge bag of strong flour, well past its use-by date too..;0~

Looking further afield, (pun intended), around here, there are several fields which have previously had wheat, barley etc., growing, and are now fallow for the foreseeable future, as they've been bought by a Wildlife Trust for dog walks etc.

This year, the first since they were cropped, they're covered in wild wheat, oats, barley etc, and now I'm wondering if the nitrogen in the seed will help the grass to get away and grow well!

Nice topic Moose, and well worth a bit of research! Good point about the starch too Nobbie!

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2023, 11:44 »
Moose, the crude protein content of flour is about 6 to 18 percent. Divide by 6.25, that equals nitrogen ranging from just under 1 % to 2.9 %.  Potassium content is 0.0077 grams Kper 100 grams whole wheat flour, phosphorus is 0.108 grams P per 100 grams, so both are well under 1 %.

I think if you wanted to discard some flour that has gone bad fo some reason, you could potentially incorporate it into the soil, or compost pile, maybe for the organic matter.  However. It does not have much NPK content. It could also attract mice etc.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

xx
My choice of Fertiliser is 6X Natural Fertiliser . Would like Opinions please

Started by tmm on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post March 13, 2014, 18:57
by Totty
xx
Fertiliser

Started by Stevens706 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 12, 2006, 18:58
by philsmith1967
xx
which fertiliser?

Started by dmg on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 28, 2012, 14:07
by upert
xx
fertiliser

Started by andyf75 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 23, 2015, 10:00
by andyf75

Page created in 0.712 seconds with 36 queries.