How’s your clear up coming on?

• 33 Replies

Hampshire Hog

How’s your clear up coming on?
« on: October 11, 2023, 14:48 »
Just spent a few minutes at the plot cutting down asparagus and sweetcorn plants.
Need to get the plot winter ready.
How are you all getting on ?
Cheers HH
Keep digging

Candide

• Experienced Member
Re: How’s your clear up coming on?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2023, 16:59 »
Bit by bit.  Sweetcorn stalks at bottom of new compost heap.
Today scrapped a couple of squash plants plus French beans and some vey tired marigolds

snowdrops

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2023, 19:08 »
Slowly getting there, there’s now a large pile of greenery & tge like to be added to he compost bin when there’s room. Sweet corn is chopped down & is drying ready to be brought home along with lots of sunflower stems to be shredded & taken back. Most of the climbing beans are down & in the pile. Leek bed no.1 is weeded & re netted for now. Raspberry bed is weeded as is the courgette bed as they gave up the ghost some weeks ago. All the squashes are now gathered in, they were in the fruit cage & that was cleared of weeds sometime ago & covered with lots of brown cardboard & awaiting mulch. Greenhouse has had tomato plants removed but not the pots . I’ve started cutting down the tunnel tomatoes as they finish, but it’s waiting a good clear up. Asparagus & 2 brassica beds are still waiting as is the strawberry bed. 3 new chickens installed, so fresh eggs are expected soon  :lol:
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2023, 08:27 »
It's not. The weather has been so wet that all I've managed to do is chop down the sweetcorn in the greenhouse!  :blush:
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

pepsi100

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2023, 11:41 »
Everything has been too wet to do much, cut the grass, cuttings in the hot bin, along with the paper and cardboard shreddings, both my hot bin and dalek composters are full

Somehow I have got to cut this Lindum turf back, its supposed to be a meadow thing, but there is nothing meadow like about it (I really dont like it, the slugs and snail hide in there, but the bees and wasps like it, never saw a butterfly all sumer, its supposed to be butterfly friendly

I have cleaned out the filters of my pond, cut back all the plants in there, fish are still feeding though

I used my blow torch to kill off the weeds on my driveway and path (seems to work better than the weed killer

The wife has to cut back everything in the front garden, but everything is just too wet, its raining as I write this and going to be here all day and the rest of the week, I reckon

I was hoping cutting the grass would be the last time this year

Thats it until the dry weather returns or a bit of fros, then I can start bring plants into the conservatory
It's all about the journey, not the destination

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2023, 18:23 »
Most of the runners are chopped down and in the compost bin, as are the sunflower stalks and heads!
The tom plants have all been chopped up and are in the bin, as is the compost/soil from their pots.

The front garden is mainly shrubbery, and that's getting a seeing to as well, as most of the chaps there have become a bit unruly, so they've been chopped around, but have gone in our garden bin as they'd never compst in a month of Sundays...

I'm trying some garlic in the GH in pots, as the outside crop this year was abysmal, and it's rather nice to see something that might/might not get away at this time of year! I'm re-planting all the tiny corms which were all we got eventually! The supermarket parsley is going great guns - so far!

pepsi100

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2023, 18:32 »
You just reminded me about my garlic
I remember planting some out this year, but they never came up, they were in a pot, elephant garlic
Seeing the pot with just weeds in it, I forgot all about them
I usually get them from the Garlic Farm on the IOW, but they dont seem to have any this year

My tomato's are still giving fruit, so I'm leaving them the first frost will probably do them in

rowlandwells

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2023, 18:12 »
well we've cleared 1 plot and spread horse manure all over it ready for ploughing  on plot 2 we've been clearing the raised beds going to spread manure on them and dig them over as for the rest of the plot cleared everything on the open ground and it has been sprayed to kill off the weeds that to will be ploughed as soon as we get a dry day

Ali T

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2023, 15:22 »
Cleared the brassica bed this morning - the Redbor kale had grown to a monstrous size, got heavily infested with whitefly and keeled over. My single test purple sprouting brocolli had gone to flower so I left it for the bees and hoverflies, and the red cabbage heads all had slugs inside them - lots of lessons to be learned there for next year! Cleared the whole bed and sowed some green manure to dig in ready for the spuds in January!
Brassica bed Oct 23.jpg

pepsi100

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2023, 16:00 »
I went out this morning, I wanted to check my hot bin, opened it up, it had gone down to about half way
I think mixing up the green and brown (paper and cardboard) really worked, when I opened it up a lot of steam came out, didnt smell much, just an earthy smell to it
Now I can start cutting back this lindum turf back, (there is a lot of it, that is going to have to go through a shredder before that goes in the hot bin, its all stalks
I've got a bag of shredded paper/cardboard to mix in with it

Not much has happened in the dalek bin though, but there are plenty of wood lice, bugs making a home in there, must be warmer in there that outside (it was 6c this morning, chilly for me, time gor long trousers ;)

Snow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2023, 10:58 »
Not too bad, shovelled a lot of woodchip into a pile to rot down for browns in the compost heap next year. Weeded a few beds. Took down the pop up greenhouse and cut back some chillis to overwinter. Pulled out some bolting lettuce and endive that I sowed back in may. Washed the outside of the greenhouse, still need to do the inside. I've also caught seven mice so far in the last couple of weeks. Emptied a water butt, forgot to do that last year and one split during the big freeze but I also need to reseat it.

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2023, 16:33 »
Still lots to do I think.
I have removed my bean support this afternoon in advance of threatening winds.
But now I need to tidy up the plot and put it to bed plus plant out my garlic.

pepsi100

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2023, 17:27 »
Still got to cut back my linden turf, there is so much of it and my compost bins are full
I usually get my garlic from the garlic farm on the IOW but they must have a bad year, they have sold out

Growster...

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2023, 07:13 »
Still got to cut back my linden turf, there is so much of it and my compost bins are full
I usually get my garlic from the garlic farm on the IOW but they must have a bad year, they have sold out

First, Happy Birthday from yesterday!

Second, why not cut up the turf, lay it upside down in a tight heap somewhere, and let nature provide you with a basic John Innes style compost for next year?

It looks lovely though!

pepsi100

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2023, 08:50 »
I laid the Lindum turf where my chickens were, the soil was a bit acidic so I was told
First year it came up, it looked fine, next year, there was quite a few flowers, bees and bugs liked it, but we never saw butterflies
During October/November we walk around beating it with sticks so the seeds drop odd
This year it was a mass of greenery, a few white and yellow flowers
I've given it a beating this year, now going to use shears to cut it back, used a strimmer last year, never went well
When I cut it back, it will just be in a heap, composter bins are full :(

How did you know it was my birthday ?

xx
Apple drop. To clear or not to clear?

Started by LottyLouis on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 24, 2015, 21:03
by Growster...
xx
Best way to clear ivy?

Started by RJR_38 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 04, 2013, 20:11
by RJR_38
xx
Bug Clear...

Started by Growster... on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post September 29, 2013, 21:27
by Growster...
xx
Had a good Clear Out.

Started by GaryH on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 03, 2008, 17:45
by lincspoacher

Page created in 0.728 seconds with 52 queries.