banning peat based compost 2024

• 57 Replies

Grubbypaws

Re: banning peat based compost 2024
« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2024, 14:02 »
Has anyone had any success with making their own seed compost? We produce a lot of compost which I use in my pots, bags and raised beds. I was wondering if I could use this to sow my seeds in?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2024, 17:56 »
You do need to take care with using your own seed compost to start seeds off. It will not be sterlilised (unless you do so), and the bacteria etc in the soil will increase the risk of damping off or the seedlings being otherwise affected.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Grubbypaws

« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2024, 09:53 »
You do need to take care with using your own seed compost to start seeds off. It will not be sterlilised (unless you do so), and the bacteria etc in the soil will increase the risk of damping off or the seedlings being otherwise affected.
How would you sterilise it? We have a hot bin, would compost from this be sterile and at what temperature?

AndyRVTR

« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2024, 10:07 »
How would you sterilise it? We have a hot bin, would compost from this be sterile and at what temperature?

A lot of folk sterilise spent compost by either popping it on a tray and sticking it in the oven on high for a while, or blitzing it in the microwave for a minute or two!

rowlandwells

« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2024, 17:43 »
 I have bought several bags of peat free compost are there very good for the compost heap also they cost much more than I'm paying for my  peat based I've had to many seed failures with the peat free rubbish this year so peat free rubbish is definitely not on my compost shopping list 

KalisDad

• Adopt. Dont Shop
« Reply #50 on: June 15, 2024, 11:23 »
I have bought several bags of peat free compost are there very good for the compost heap also they cost much more than I'm paying for my  peat based I've had to many seed failures with the peat free rubbish this year so peat free rubbish is definitely not on my compost shopping list
Every single bit of my peat based compost I've used this year is going into my compost tumblers for next year and I will do this going forward, I'll post a picture of my peat based toms v the peat free today if I can, I cant believe the difference
Dad of a beautiful Cyrpus rescue called Kali (she's in the picture), A dog from my favourite place, what a dream

AndyRVTR

« Reply #51 on: June 15, 2024, 14:53 »
I read an article today that said Boris Johnson had proposed the ban for gardeners by 2024 and a total banning of peat compost fir everyone by 2030, but that the current government didn't have much drive to actually see it through!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: June 15, 2024, 16:30 »
Sounds about right  ::)  Probably never grown a thing in his life and suckered in by the talking up of peat alternatives.

The nearest thing I can get to decent compost near me is Jack’s Magic Traditional Compost, which I think is peat reduced.  It is much finer and holds water better than anything else I can get.  At the start of the season I bulk buy ingredients and mix my own, but at this time of the year when I am not potting up so much, it is useful.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #53 on: June 15, 2024, 22:39 »

This provides some guidance: https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/40/appendix-B_to_part_503
No. 1 is specific to compost, and recommends 55oC or higher within-vessel for 3 days (that would be your hot bin).
No. 3 is for sludge, not compost, and recommends 180oC or higher for 30 minutes.  Hotter, for a shorter period of time. It would probably work fine for compost.

The recommendations are part of laws that are meant to treat human disease-causing pathogens. PROBABLY would also work on plant pathogens(?)  Not intended for plant pathogens though.

If I was doing anything in the family oven, I would gain concurrence from your OH (advice I would give to anyone!). Maybe get an inexpensive metal pot with metal lid just for compost (possibly at a car boot sale?).
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

vikingraider

• Experienced Member
« Reply #54 on: June 16, 2024, 18:59 »
I tried sterilising the compost in the microwave but my jacket tatties were a bit gritty...

Odders

« Reply #55 on: Today at 02:37 »
The peat free I've used is appalling and not suitable for sowing or potting on.
I will be making more of my own in future.
The peat free went into potato bags with additional fertiliser.
This  is what it was like once it had been watered.
I'm sorry but this is not a suitable multi purpose compost usable from the bag.

That looks like the peat free rubbish I tried - full of semi decomposed wood which robbed any nitrogen from the mix.
Totally unacceptable.

Odders

« Reply #56 on: Today at 02:44 »

Due to the poor results from commercial compost, I filled a cell tray with the sieved 50/50 mix of commercial & home made compost from one of the containers of my first early potatoes & sowed two varieties of beetroot last week.
Initial results look far healthier than those sown in commercial compost & it'll be interesting to see how they progress past the cotyledon stage.

Odders

« Reply #57 on: Today at 02:49 »

I beg to differ.
Commercial compost isn't sterilised - it would cost far too much, as well as negatively affecting the compost's effectiveness as a growing material.
Damping off is caused by waterlogging & a lack of airflow (I have a small fan blow across my seed trays & keep watering to a minimum).

xx
Compost help - what does peat based compost look like?

Started by cjskts on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 08, 2011, 13:50
by hamstergbert
xx
peat free or added peat compost

Started by rachelsco on Grow Your Own

39 Replies
Last post June 12, 2011, 13:04
by shokkyy
exclamation
Peat in compost ?

Started by Matt31 on Grow Your Own

37 Replies
Last post May 03, 2012, 08:52
by Madame Cholet
xx
Peat Free Compost

Started by FatGaz on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post February 13, 2007, 19:21
by Annie

Page created in 0.56 seconds with 50 queries.