Cheaper at waitrose.

• 7 Replies

Lardman

Cheaper at waitrose.
« on: August 29, 2023, 12:45 »
A phrase I never thought I'd say either.

Doing the shopping this week because of brand availability, price fixing between the big 4, stock levels and delivery charges the cheapest place to do my shopping is waitrose, someone needs to address food pricing in supermarkets it's become predatory. 

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Cheaper at waitrose.
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2023, 13:37 »
Yes, some extreme profits being clocked up by the usual culprits, I've noticed a double whammy on some products, where they've put the prices up, while also reducing the size of the pack (own brand products, obviously)

mrs bouquet

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2023, 13:42 »
Really !    I must look into this.  After my debacle this weekend with my delivery from Sains-----   when I eventually got to put the remainder of the shop away, the tomatoes were soft and wrinkly, half the potatoes were bad and I had to pick off the grapes.  A few of the things I had ordered weren't available anyway.  So maybe time to look at a change.    Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2023, 13:46 »
That doesn’t surprise me Lardman.
I regularly visit Waitrose as well as Aldi, Lidl, Sainsbury’s and M&S.
This means I know when a supposed bargain is real or not.
Sometimes I think about what would count as a volume item in a specific supermarket in the past I have bought Earl Grey tea in Waitrose when it was cheaper than in other shops.
Also I would add that I regularly visit our local butcher, his sausages are much better than any from a supermarket.
Plus of course we have a good supply of veg from the plot. (Anyone need some runners!)
Keep digging

MrsPea

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2023, 16:06 »
 We also shop at Sainsburys and waitrose lots of items alot cheaper than sainsburys, big stuff from sainsburys  :)
I Love my green house

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2023, 12:09 »
We now always get stuff delivered from Waitrose, not just because they are a good price but their delivery men are so kind as to wait while OH and I check all the items off the list, but their stuff is really good value including veg and ready meals. Going to try M&S shortly because their ready meals are also comparable. I prefer value over a few pence saved especially if it lasts.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Growster...

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2023, 07:41 »
Waitrose have the 25% off six bottles of wine deal on at the moment, so that means their wine will cost the same as the normal Tesco range at the end...

I agree their tea is a good deal, but you need to buy the big packs, and as far as I can see, they have more bread on the sale-by-date shelves than anywhere else, so presumably that goes to the local food bank, which everyone has to pay for whether they like it or not! It's all very well the supermarkets telling everyone how generous they are to the local 'needy', when all they're doing is chucking it at the local causes, and charging their paying public for the privilege, so it's a win/win for them!

I'm still several quid in for the Tesco Clubcard Plus deal, because there are 'utility' items which I can buy and use, like washing up liquid, wine etc., so I'll probably keep it going as around fifteen notes a month is the same as the car costs and easy to claim - if there's a signal in the shop, that is...

Goosegirl

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2023, 09:05 »
OH is just going to do a Waitrose order, but I wanted to look at M&S prices for ready meals that they do as well as some others that I liked. TBH, they're very comparable, eg, tuna pasta bake - W is 3.70, M&S is 6.00 for two. Haven't compared the quantities though.

xx
Waitrose sell it.. .....

Started by GraciesGran on Chatting on the Plot

8 Replies
Last post December 21, 2022, 14:50
by GraciesGran

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 37 queries.