Galinsoga parviflora

• 3 Replies

john_lincoln

Galinsoga parviflora
« on: July 28, 2023, 08:59 »
Hi all, could anyone shed any light on the control of this weed. I have an allotment in Lincolnshire and several plots on the site have this weed on them. So far I've managed to keep it at bay by making sure NOTHING from any other plot arrives on my plot. Recently, the plot holder next to mine has brought in some cabbage plants. The soil with them was infested with seeds of this plant. The plot holder has now given up the plot, but left their rubbish and a good crop of G. parviflora behind. I have read the burning the soil with a weed gas-gun will kill the seeds because they die at temps above 45 DegC. (USDA web site). In many USA sates, this is a notifiable weed.

I have been in touch with the council regarding this and they have issued a standard email regarding general weed control and say that is about all they can do. Has anyone any experience of this most pernicious weed?
galinsoga.jpg

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Galinsoga parviflora
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2023, 09:19 »
Bad luck! Continually hoeing it off, as it germinates, is the way to go, as with all annual weeds.
Most allotment sites have one troublesome weed, or another - it's just life. My last allotment site had marestail, which was a never-ending nightmare for many.

I doubt it is any consolation, but it is edible  :nowink:

john_lincoln

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2023, 14:05 »
Cheers, mumofstig, just what I thought. I considered hand grenades, dynamite and 2 inches of petrol, and a box of matches. Ah well. The stuff is grown in Cuba apparently as an edible, but I'll stick to spinach.

Potty Plotty Lotty

• https://thelazyallotmenteer.wordpress.com/
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2023, 05:51 »

Most allotment sites have one troublesome weed, or another - it's just life. My last allotment site had marestail, which was a never-ending nightmare for many.

My experience is that once you've managed to eradicate one pernicious weed, another one comes along to take it's place! All part of the "fun"!

Page created in 0.286 seconds with 34 queries.