Looking for higher yield from a bell-type pepper

• 5 Replies

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
Looking for higher yield from a bell-type pepper
« on: July 11, 2023, 11:32 »
I seem to have no problem at all growing Sweet Banana peppers in large quantities, and these go a long way toward meeting our sweet pepper needs, and will continue to do so. 

However, I have a long history of frustrating results with bell peppers, or peppers that I have been told can be used like bell peppers. Sometimes we need, or want, a thick-walled dark green or red sweet pepper. This year, I have Corno di Toro growing, a variety I have heard good things about (including "use like a bell pepper", even though it is a bull horn type). We have had exactly zero peppers from CdT (and no fruit set), while Sweet Banana growing next to them are barely keeping upright with so many fruit!  Both varieties started from seed at exactly the same time, developing next to one another.  The soil is prepared exactly the same way for both varieties, same full sun conditions, plenty of water for both types, etc., the plants of both varieties are chest high, blooming, just no production from the CdT at all.  Yet, two feet away, there is a Sweet Banana that has multiple fruits 6 to 8 inches long, as if to say "this is how it's done... this is how you get on with it".  The same thing has happened in the past with California Wonder.

Any suggestions as to what might be going wrong for me with CdT or bell peppers?  Is there a cultural element that I might be missing?  Is there a different bell pepper variety (or other pepper that can be used like a bell pepper) that I should be trying that is more of a sure bet in terms of production?

Any suggestions appreciated, thank you.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2023, 17:27 by Subversive_plot »
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

hasbeans

• Experienced Member
Re: Looking for higher yield from a bell-type pepper
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2023, 11:49 »
'Akron' for a large bell pepper. 'Oda' or 'Midas' for smaller, thick walled fruit on compact plants.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2023, 11:51 by hasbeans »

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2023, 21:36 »
'Akron' for a large bell pepper. 'Oda' or 'Midas' for smaller, thick walled fruit on compact plants.

Thank you for the advice on varieties hasbeans!  Very much appreciated.

This year, I will need to make do with whatever Corno di Toro produces.  Maybe they will just produce later in the season?

I will need to check USA seed sellers to see if those varieties are available.  Oda is available here - that is an interesting one, nice color.  I will need to check for the other two.

hasbeans

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2023, 10:36 »
It does seem strange that you get the same problem every year with just sweet peppers! 
If I had the same issue i'd be thinking spider mite or heat is the issue if I couldn't see anything obvious. 
Have you tried pollinating by hand, assuming you're getting flowers?

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2023, 20:53 »
Yes, I am getting flowers, and I have tried pollinating them in manner similar to pollinating tomatoes.  The blooms just drop after being open a while.  Maybe I should try a different pollination method (small artist brush maybe)  So, good suggestion, I will try more hand pollination.

I have recently read that bell peppers don't like the heat (and, well, I live in Georgia, USA!  It is 32oC right now).  I have read that there are some heat-resistant sweet peppers.  Pimento types are often mentioned, also a variety called 'Gypsy" (Gypsy also called Cubanelle).

hasbeans

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2023, 12:11 »
I just jab my finger in there, having watched how rough the big bees are!
If chillis do well then maybe a hybrid?  I know there's a heatless jalapeno and maybe even a rocoto.  Depends if you want large peppers or just the fleshiness.

xx
Bell-Pepper Toppepo Rosso anyone?

Started by japagow on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 29, 2011, 22:42
by Trillium
xx
Sweet Bell Pepper Problem

Started by devonbarmygardener on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post September 03, 2013, 20:59
by devonbarmygardener
xx
Suggestions for a good bell pepper, please, and aubergine

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post September 13, 2010, 19:27
by andy135
xx
pea yield

Started by dmg on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 01, 2012, 17:37
by DD.

Page created in 0.522 seconds with 42 queries.