Aphid mummies

• 2 Replies

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
Aphid mummies
« on: June 09, 2023, 04:33 »
Recently I noticed tan-colored aphids on some of my tomato plants.  My entomologist son was coming over for dinner, and I told him about the aphids, and asked how he would treat them, consistent with integrated pest management practices. He said don't do anything yet, they may be beneficial!

When he got to the house, he looked at the aphids, his suspicion was confirmed.  The aphids had been parasitized by Aphidius wasps!  See https://bugoftheweek.com/blog/2020/5/25/whats-up-when-aphids-have-a-hole-in-their-rear-end-tiny-parasitic-wasps-aphidius-spp .  They lay eggs in the aphids, eventually killing them, but producing many more tiny wasps that will control future generations of aphids (not to worry, the wasps are tiny, not a danger to humans).

A related wasp lives in the UK.  If you see motionless tan aphids on crops, look for a hole in them before spraying with anything.  They could be the best friend in your garden to get rid of aphids.

Edited to change the word "wasps" to the correct word 'aphids' in the paragraph above.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2023, 15:00 by Subversive_plot »
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Nobbie

Re: Aphid mummies
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2023, 12:51 »
 I think your eyesight is a lot better than mine. I can barely see the aphids, let alone holes in them :(

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
Re: Aphid mummies
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2023, 21:48 »
I think your eyesight is a lot better than mine. I can barely see the aphids, let alone holes in them :(

My eyesight isn't what it used to be!   :lol:  Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on your POV  ::)), I'm a geologist, and keeping assorted and various hand lenses in every desk drawer or tool box is sort of an occupational hazard.  A decent magnifying glass for reading will do, and I use those to look at the tiny bugs so I know what bugs are friend or foe.  For the aphid mummies, if they are tan, and they don't seem to move at all, they are probably aphid mummies (holes visible or not). 

FWIW, I've noted that plants that already have 'mummies' don't seem to have live aphids hanging about.  Same goes for nearby plants.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2023, 21:51 by Subversive_plot »

xx
Black Fly/ Aphid

Started by Rangerkris on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post June 16, 2009, 22:42
by Yorkie
clip
Black bean aphid

Started by JoshP on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 04, 2016, 19:38
by Tracybutton
clip
Currant Blister Aphid?

Started by Sturmovik on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 13, 2018, 15:03
by tangojulie
xx
Aphid advice for sweetcorn

Started by Lazy-al on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 13, 2011, 13:10
by Lazy-al

Page created in 0.51 seconds with 38 queries.