Grooming

• 3 Replies

mrs bouquet

Grooming
« on: June 07, 2023, 12:58 »
In light of recent events regarding a famous person on TV.  I wonder, perhaps grooming is actually carried out by the lesser person who by making themselves known to a celebrity is hoping that this will achieve work, status or whatever.   Some men or woman have always been prepared to sacrifice themselves to get what they  want.
The better known person then lies, but many people will lie but damaging things, that is the way of life.

These are just my personal thought and I am hoping this will not inflame you.     Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

snowdrops

Re: Grooming
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2023, 13:16 »
You might have a point, but I think in most cases the ‘groomer’ targets someone by bestowing either attention, ’love’ , gifts etc on a vulnerable person, be it child, adolescent or vulnerable adult in view of a means to an end.
This is the case with gangs who sit out known foster & care homes to get to the residents of these homes and also drug gangs who target deprived areas to recruit children for the often heard of County Lines.
In the tv & film industry there has always been the ‘casting couch’ approach from both sides to get what they want. Often the ‘actor’ is just as vulnerable as a child in care.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2023, 22:18 »
If I am understanding the use of the term as you presented it, Oxford Languages defines grooming as "the action of attempting to form a relationship with a child or young person, with the intention of sexually assaulting them or inducing them to commit an illegal act such as selling drugs or joining a terrorist organization".   My apologies if some of that language is uncomfortable, but I thought a direct quote might be in order here (and I also understand if some people feel the need to report this post and request that it be taken down).

I'm not aware of the famous person on TV that you referred to.  However, I've never heard "grooming" used outside of the context of a groomer doing this with a child or young person (the "subject" of the grooming). In this context, the groomer always has the upper hand in terms of age or status, wealth, fame, popularity, political power, etc.  In some cases, the groomer and the subject could be the same age, but most of the time, the groomer is older, the subject is younger, often a child.  In this context, my opinion is that the subject of grooming is always a victim.  Full stop.

Mrs. B, I also hope that I have not offended anyone.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2023, 10:33 »
Whatever the circumstances in the case making the news here, I would say that the older, more experienced and powerful person is at fault.  Even if they are approached by someone younger, more vulnerable or wanting to get ahead, they know how it would be perceived, even if legal, and should make it clear the answer is no.

I also think being secretive and lying about what is going on for years does not help your case when it all eventually comes out. 

The rights and wrongs of this case are for the legal system to determine. Trial by media is fairly brutal and I think it is fine to question what is going on, but the laws are there to protect the vulnerable for very good reasons. 

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 33 queries.