Severe cabbage aphid infestation

• 2 Replies

simon hughes

Severe cabbage aphid infestation
« on: June 07, 2023, 09:03 »
All my brassicas are absolutely covered in cabbage aphid. Is there anything I can do or shall I just cut my losses and replant some autumn / winter stuff? I always read this pest can be tolerated as they don’t do that much damage but I beg to differ.  The plants do not look healthy at all. I’ve tried neem oil and it hasn’t worked. Below is a picture of a shoot I’ve just pulled off a cabbage. Absolutely gross. This is particularly bad to be fair but there are significant clusters of them on all of the plants.

Simon

3C5CD05A-5436-4BB4-8C43-D85219FA7DF6.jpeg

Grubbypaws

Re: Severe cabbage aphid infestation
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2023, 11:59 »
I dont know if this will work but try spraying them with soapy water (1 teaspoonful to a litre). It works wonders on green and blackfly but I have never tried it on brassicas. It needs to make contact with them as it works by the detergent stopping them being able to breath. If you try it let me know how it goes.

snowdrops

Re: Severe cabbage aphid infestation
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2023, 12:53 »
I had this one year when I netted with debris netting & I see you have what looks to be enviromesh on yours? I think for me what happened was the pests could get in & not the predators, so then I’ve changed to butterfly netting, could be fluke but I’ve not had an issue since. I know that doesn’t help you for now, unless you buy some ladybirds & add in there to see them off & then maybe renet to allow ladybirds to leave once they’ve eaten the pests, hopefully you should have then boosted the ladybird population near you as well for future years. Just google what they’re larvae looks like so you don’t squish them.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

xx
Will my sprouts recover from mealy aphid infestation?

Started by magiliz on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 28, 2015, 21:32
by magiliz
xx
mealy cabbage aphid

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post November 03, 2020, 17:26
by mumofstig
xx
Mealy Cabbage Aphid - Organic Treatments?

Started by Markjp on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 27, 2009, 13:21
by pushrod
xx
SEVERE WEATHER WARNING

Started by dickpiggot on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 16, 2007, 16:26
by DD.

Page created in 0.47 seconds with 31 queries.