Enviromesh standard and leek moth.

• 3 Replies

Little Flower

Enviromesh standard and leek moth.
« on: April 12, 2023, 15:42 »
Is enviromesh standard good against these pests (1.35mm square mesh according to the Enviromesh website) or is Enviromesh ultrafine (0.8mm square mesh) required?

Also: What's a handy size for an allotment? I was wondering about getting 16m x 3.6m, for two side to side runs. Any observations?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2023, 17:07 by RJY »

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Enviromesh standard and leek moth.
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2023, 10:15 »
You need the smaller mesh size according to the RHS (and we don't argue with them, do we?  :ohmy:)

As to size, it depends how much of which crops you intend to grow - you don't want to be netting crops which don't need that level of protection (apart from the expense, netted crops are much 'faffier' to keep weeded.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2023, 10:20 »
Re- the size of your allotment, it's best to think about how much time and money you have to spare as you don't want to take on too much because it will become a chore rather a pleasure. Some smaller things such as lettuce, beetroot and dwarf French beans can be planted between sweet corn, and you can get a row or two of later cropping veg such as some carrots when the space becomes available.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Potty Plotty Lotty

• https://thelazyallotmenteer.wordpress.com/
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2023, 18:29 »
I just lay enviromesh over my leeks and hold in place with plastic bottles filled with water and/or stones.

I only cover leeks with it so it depends how many you plan to grow as to what size you require. If you grow carrots you may want some for them as well to protect against carrot fly.

I use scaffold netting to cover brassicas (search for blue water tube hoops on this forum for some ideas on supports) and again for my redcurrants. 

Using enviromesh for these is an expensive option.

xx
Leek moth

Started by Salmo on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post September 16, 2014, 19:19
by Beetroot Queen
xx
Leek moth

Started by Salmo on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post October 07, 2013, 11:50
by bravemurphy
xx
Leek moth

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 19, 2021, 20:32
by Anton
xx
Leek moth

Started by colin120 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 26, 2015, 20:56
by Jason1971

Page created in 0.474 seconds with 38 queries.