Tomatoes In the Tunnel.

• 5 Replies

omits

Tomatoes In the Tunnel.
« on: April 11, 2023, 12:15 »
They say you should transplant a plant as deep as possible. Does this mean I should/could replant my tomato plant in the same pot again when it has reached say 6 - 8 inches? Thanks.

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Tomatoes In the Tunnel.
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2023, 15:36 »
Depends - if you sowed it in a small pot the roots will probably already have reached the bottom.

If you sowed in a large pot you probably could re-pot deeper in the same pot - you don't want the roots to be sitting at the bottom of any pot after transplanting (they need room to grow downwards.)

(This works for tomatoes because they so readily produce new roots from buried stems - it certainly doesn't apply to all plants.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2023, 23:39 »
Specifically with tomatoes, for a plant that has reached (roughly) 6+ inches tall, I will set the root ball of a plant on a 2-inch mound of soil in a larger pot (3-gallon size) and then bury the plant with soil, compost, or a mix of both up to the seed leaves. That usually only fills the pot 1/4 to 1/3 full with rich soil.

Let it grow a 2 or 3 weeks in that.

It will quickly root into that soil.  After it has grown some more, bury the stem a little more in rich soil, another 2 or 3 inches. 

More growth will happen. keep repeating the process.  You will get a plant with a prolific root system.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

omits

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2023, 08:47 »
Well how interesting! Like potatoes then. Does this mean there are more tomatoes or longer season? I guess though that the plant is better able to support it's crop. I have put my seeds in big pots to start off with so to do this I will have to remove it and half the soil (say) and build it up as you suggest but as JayG says not too near the bottom. Thanks I will try this on one of my plants (probably the Manzano).

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2023, 10:39 »
If you’re planting your young plants in the ground (indoors or outdoors) you can plant them horizontally under the soil with just the top leaves above the ground.  Roots will form all the length of the buried stem.
140F944D-385E-4CA0-AC9D-61D6799E9483.jpeg

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2023, 16:49 »
Well how interesting! Like potatoes then. Does this mean there are more tomatoes or longer season? I guess though that the plant is better able to support it's crop. I have put my seeds in big pots to start off with so to do this I will have to remove it and half the soil (say) and build it up as you suggest but as JayG says not too near the bottom. Thanks I will try this on one of my plants (probably the Manzano).

Similar to what would be done for potatoes, yes (you probably know, they are related).

Rather than getting more tubers, with tomatoes you are indeed trying to develop better roots, and better support, for the crop.

Best of luck with your tomatoes.

Sub_p

xx
We have a tunnel

Started by Highfield on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 20, 2009, 22:40
by GrannieAnnie
xx
poly tunnel

Started by kitch on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post March 09, 2010, 13:36
by BostonInbred
xx
Cabbage Tunnel

Started by southwells farm on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post March 19, 2010, 22:28
by Goldfinger
xx
poly tunnel

Started by carolie on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 16, 2010, 15:56
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.447 seconds with 35 queries.