Decent tasty parsnips.

• 8 Replies

Goosegirl

Decent tasty parsnips.
« on: February 28, 2023, 09:33 »
Am trying yet again (sob) to grow a tasty, non-forked rooted and non-woody parsnip of a handleably size. Last year my OH wanted them grown in the holes that concrete blocks have which we used to make a raised bed. Some grew to enormous proportions and getting them out took four of us and I'm not doing it again!  :ohmy:
So far, the two veg beds have been cleared of last year's detritus but that's all. OH wants to dig out all the soil then sieve it back so the roots don't fork. Umm. :wacko: Surely (please don't call me surely) growers don't do that. I'm not planning on digging any manure or compost in it. The soil is loam and of a fairly neutral pH. The other thing is why do they go woody? Is it lack of watering? How to get the best taste is another thing.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Hampshire Hog

Re: Decent tasty parsnips.
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2023, 10:04 »
Perhaps worth remembering that last year was anything but normal so it could be due to excess heat or lack of water.
Keep digging

rowlandwells

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2023, 17:44 »
your not the only one Goosy as Hampshire said the weather didn't help our parsnips either basically a crop failure so lets try again this year I'm going to try two methods this year on our raised beds

1 make a hole with a metal bare or an old spade handle fill the hole with sand and compost mix sow 2 seeds per station prick out the poorest

2 I'm going to try a method using 25ltr drums cut down taking off the bottom and the top of then fill the drum with good sieved soil spent compost and sand again 6 seed per drum space the seed out then thin the seedlings out to about 4 then if the parsnips manage to produce you can just pull the drum off the parsnips

I'm not one for growing massive parsnips so we tend to sow a little later to get a smaller parsnip with tastes better in my opinion and not woody we also have to put a wire fence round our parsnips because the badger also like them to

Grubbypaws

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2023, 16:39 »
Like Rowlandwells I grow mine in raised beds and use a large dibber (mine is a sharpened cut off post). I make holes 4" apart which I fill with sieved compost. I then divide all the seeds I have between the holes made. Since the seed doesnt keep I dont stint with how many I put at each 'station'. I have tried lots of varieties but have settled on Gladiator which produces good size tasty parsnips which are rarely forked.

rowlandwells

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2023, 16:51 »
 a good choice of parsnip Grubbypaws Gladiator that's what we grow hopefully we can start sowing our parsnip seed shortly if the weather gets a tad warmer as I said in my previous reply I'm going to try a new method then you know we mite even get a crop of parsnips this season

Nobbie

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2023, 21:01 »
They all tend to go woody around this time of year as they start growing again. If they’re already woody, I suspect it’s lack of rain over summer. Just dug up the last of mine as they were starting to sprout green leaves. I’ve never bothered pampering them, just wait until the soil is warm in April and sow seeds in clusters 4-6” apart and thin gradually as they seem to appreciate the company early on.

coldandwindy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2023, 11:43 »
(please don't call me surely)
Rodger that.

I sow parsnips very late (end of April). They don't get as big that way. The more home-made compost I put on before sowing, the better they do. (We have deep, silty loam.)
We stop eating them after January & any that are left we move to a corner beside the compost bins & let them flower & set seed for saving. I presume they will get woody but I haven't looked. Home saved seed keeps for several years. I would guess its something to do with physical damage from mechanical cleaning which stops bought seed from keeping.
We started with Tender and True a long time ago so that's probably what we still have! 

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2023, 12:13 »
I've grown them in a bucket of compost, and they got to about a large carrot size, which is fine for us.

Forking isn't a problem normally, but I shudder when I see parsnips for sale in modules, as they just go everywhere, although 'funnily enough', just chopping off the fronds, and quickly roasting them makes for quite a tasty dish!

Goosegirl

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2023, 14:23 »
Whilst trying to go to sleep last night I had a light bulb moment as you do. Not only was planting parsnips in the small square holes in the concrete blocks a bad idea (BTW, not mine) but, despite the watering they got over the dry summer we had, there was not a lot of soil left around them because as they grew they compressed the new soil in the blocks and also a lot of the water was absorbed by the concrete blocks. We are now getting some more Elegance strawbs to plant where the parsnips were.  ;)

xx
Parsnips not so tasty this year.

Started by Clampit on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post December 27, 2008, 09:51
by Clampit
xx
Decent string

Started by teflon on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 05, 2009, 10:06
by Stripey_cat
xx
Too late for decent sweetcorn?

Started by scabs on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post June 15, 2010, 22:27
by Elcie
xx
How many plants do I need for a decent crop?

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post February 07, 2011, 22:21
by shokkyy

Page created in 0.425 seconds with 45 queries.