Which seed brand do you go for?

• 29 Replies

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
Which seed brand do you go for?
« on: January 31, 2023, 11:01 »
Taking the saving of seeds from previous years crops out of equation,  is cost a consideration or do you go for leading brand.  Wilkos had their own brand as well as other well known suppliers which were priced accordingly.

Last year ordered some online with mixed results.

Interested in your thoughts.
we also rescue rabbits and guinea pigs, grow own veg

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
Re: Which seed brand do you go for?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2023, 11:41 »
When I started out I used to order fancy seeds from the big name catalogues, but now I just stick to Wilko/ any other cheap and cheerful brand I can get my hands on. The only thing I pay extra for now is for Sungold/ Honeycomb tomatoes that the sprog loves.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2023, 12:06 »
Wilkos for everyday things like Autumn Giant carrots and then Kings or Marshalls for varieties that Wilkos don't sell

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2023, 12:34 »
Wilkes range was quite limited the other day , they had cheapest price free if my memory serves me right.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2023, 15:17 »
Brand names I go for are probably not available there (and vice-versa).  I will say that I don't shy away from bargain seeds, a local deep-discount chain has packs of seed at 4 packs for $1.  I usually get some of these each year, and they do just fine!  FWIW, the brand is "American Seed".

My other seeds recently have come from Burpees, Ferry-Morse, John Scheeper's Kitchen Garden Seeds, and Reimer's Seed.  This year and last I've mail ordered from Scheeper's KGS in 2022 and Reimer's this year.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2023, 17:12 »
We like to buy Unwins seeds because they're the only brand sold by our GC, who supported all their customers as much as they could and delivered all they had during the dreaded 'lockdown', so it's still pay-back time! Unwins are part of Marshalls anyway...!

Never really had a problem with the seeds, they stock what we want, and will get them in if they're not on the shelf! The manager and staff are good friends and are always there to help with advice whenever anyone wants it! Some items there have even gone down, but seeds are up a bit this year, or there are fewer in the special packets!

missmoneypenny

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2023, 17:42 »
I tried Duchy Organics seeds once- never again. Pitiful germination rates.
I usually go for Thompson and Morgan when they have a free delivery offer, or Suttons. I have bought Real Seeds once and pleased with the product, albeit a little more pricy. Occasionally pick up seeds at Lidls if I don’t care about variety and happy with something generic eg courgettes, beetroot, little gem lettuce. They do fine.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2023, 18:09 »
I was given a load of seed packets for Christmas, but I usually get Mr Fothergill's because we can get a discount through the allotment association.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

snowdrops

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2023, 19:08 »
I don’t stick with a brand, I stock up when the sales are on in September/October & buy quite a few from kings now to support the garden club as they run the Kings seed scheme & they’re considerably cheaper. I have bought a couple of sought after named varieties online that I couldn’t get but wasn’t swayed by a particular brand.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

steven c

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2023, 21:20 »
for service price and choice i think Premier are great value.
from bow like to grow

bayleaf

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2023, 12:22 »
Premier are good on price. However the quality is not always good. I brought some peas recently and quite a few went mouldy when I put them on damp newspaper to get them started. However their Santero onion seeds were very good when it came to germination.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2023, 14:51 »
Wilcos don't have a huge range of veg seeds, although there are some F1 varieties amongst them, and I've never had a problem with them. Last week I bought 9 packets of seeds without even noticing they were on some sort of BOGOFF offer - grand total £5!  :)

Usually buy the rest of my seeds from Premier Seeds Direct, and have not had any obvious problems with them either.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

rowlandwells

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2023, 15:27 »
we use 3 seed merchants Kings Moles and DT brown I'm not to fussed about the price as long as they produce good germination and at the end of the day produce a  good crop   I tend to go with the varieties rather than price

Goosegirl

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2023, 10:15 »
Last year I used King's and Premier. As I don't have a big veg garden I don't mind a smaller number per packet. To me it's the quality and accuracy of the contents and also whether they have the ones I want.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Growster...

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2023, 11:50 »
With February already in full swing, I'm late as usual getting some early seeds in...

This is the time of year when seeing the warmth and sunshine again has made me check all the packets, and yup, I'm well behind yet again...

As for brands though, we're going with a new mail order firm, Yougarden, for geraniums, bizzie lizzies etc, has anyone else ever used these guys?

xx
Brand new bed - but what can i put in it now?

Started by FCG on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post May 29, 2008, 13:23
by peapod
xx
Brand new out the box Gardener

Started by llINDA on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post January 14, 2012, 17:57
by Yorkie
xx
BRAND NEW ALLOTMENT?

Started by fallen angel on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 09, 2008, 13:13
by Apostrophes
question
Brand new allotment

Started by BatterBits on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post March 28, 2011, 22:24
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.5 seconds with 54 queries.