Leccy usage walloped down.

• 10 Replies

Goosegirl

Leccy usage walloped down.
« on: January 17, 2023, 10:52 »
Just to let you know that, since I started using the oven and the microwave on my combi-microwave for small items like a ready meal or scampi etc instead of the old oven we inherited, my leccie bill has really shot down. Anyone else have one and used it instead of their oven?
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

mrs bouquet

Re: Leccy usage walloped down.
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2023, 14:12 »
Well done.  It does make a difference and you can use a slow cooker for the casseroles etc.  I have just heard from my supplier and I am £480 in credit, but they are taking £170/month.  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2023, 14:29 »
I've not got a combi-microwave, but have always used my ordinary m/w, my George Forman grill or my slow-cooker, so so only use my small top gas oven for the occasional traybake, or batch of muffins.
I'm not sure if gas cooking is actually cheaper than electric, comparison seems difficult...

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2023, 16:00 »
I'm not sure if gas cooking is actually cheaper than electric, comparison seems difficult...

Gas ovens and hobs are both cheaper to run than any electric alternative of similar size and heat output, not because they're more efficient (they're not), but because electricity costs about 3 times as much per kilowatt hour at the moment. Gas ovens and hobs average about half the cost to run, although that's not the only consideration for some:
https://chefspick.co.uk/is-gas-oven-cheaper-to-run-than-electric/

I use my non-combi microwave whenever I can for cooking tasks that don't require the hob or oven (I even microwave spuds for mashing - takes a bit of practice but quicker and cheaper than boiling them, especially when cooking for one.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2023, 17:11 »
I guess I really must learn how to use our combi microwave...

Up to now, the instructions are just gobbledegook, so I suppose it's my fault, but risking a whole meal isn't a pleasant option just at this minute!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2023, 18:11 »

Gas ovens and hobs are both cheaper to run than any electric alternative of similar size and heat output, not because they're more efficient (they're not), but because electricity costs about 3 times as much per kilowatt hour at the moment. Gas ovens and hobs average about half the cost to run, although that's not the only consideration for some:

I agree with your overall comments, but of course an electric oven doesn't use electricity all the time - it cycles on and off according to temperature in the oven, whilst a gas oven is using gas throughout. Probably doesn't cancel it out, but might make the difference less extreme.

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2023, 20:24 »
I agree with your overall comments, but of course an electric oven doesn't use electricity all the time - it cycles on and off according to temperature in the oven, whilst a gas oven is using gas throughout. Probably doesn't cancel it out, but might make the difference less extreme.

The gas flame/pressure does go up and down in response to the thermostat setting, though. Once lit and the oven is up to temperature the gas flame reduces to a, sometimes, much lower level to keep the heat at the set thermostat level. So I think gas ovens are controlled by the thermostat, in much the same way as electric ones are.

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2023, 09:04 »
It’s difficult to avoid using the oven entirely but I’m trying to use the microwave and slow cooker more. Also at this time of year our pressure cooker is brilliant last night I made some potato and spinach curry in a few minutes in it. It’s unfortunate that the weather has turned cold again though, that’s more gas for heating I’m afraid.
Keep digging

jaydig

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2023, 09:33 »
Our son bought us a microwave like yours when our old one died.  I hadn't used any of the other facilities until fuel became so expensive.  I bought an airfryer to cut down on fat consumption and use this almost every day, combined with the all-singing, all-dancing microwave, my one-pot and my slow cooker, I rarely use the oven now.   It's only switched on for baking, and only then if I can totally fill it, and for a Sunday roast, when again I can use every shelf and cook sufficient quantities for spare freezer 'ready' meals.
I can't say that our power usage has declined by much, but it certainly hasn't gone up either.

Growster...

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2023, 11:43 »
We have a Breville Microwave Oven which also offers Combination cooking via a grill and the microwave element..

It says in the instructions that there are two combinations, one which does puddings, omelettes, baked potatoes and poultry, and another one which does fish, potatoes and au gratin dishes.

Can I cook - say - chicken breasts this first way (Comb 1) and get them to crisp up a bit too? And how would lamb chops or crispy bacon fare on either of the combs? Could I use either comb for - say - casseroles in a Pyrex covered dish?

(We do prefer bacon fried on a skillet actually, but that's another story..;0)

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2023, 14:56 »

I use my non-combi microwave whenever I can for cooking tasks that don't require the hob or oven (I even microwave spuds for mashing - takes a bit of practice but quicker and cheaper than boiling them, especially when cooking for one.)

I had to look up what a 'hob' was.  :D we call them 'cook tops' over here, unless it is combined with an oven (the combined unit is called a 'range' here).
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 43 queries.