It never rains but it poorlys.

• 18 Replies

Goosegirl

It never rains but it poorlys.
« on: December 14, 2022, 11:47 »
Well, OH and I have had a bit of a bad time here. Over two weeks ago on Monday I had to call an ambulance at night for him as he was struggling to breathe, so he stayed in overnight and was diagnosed with the 'flu then came home the next day. The following Saturday I went by ambulance to hospital and stayed in two nights with the 'flu' and also pneumonia. Since then he is slowly improving, but it has taken me over a week to get out of bed and get dressed. I have had proper 'flu' twice in the past but never one like this. At least I am managing to eat something now but being very careful because it doesn't take much for me to want my bed again! I so hope you have all managed to keep clear of it. Our niece, Hazel, has been an absolute trooper coming here and helping out especially as she works part time on a farm and has three children, one of whom is a toddler. I have just managed to clean the bathroom but am feeling rather shattered so I'm going for a snoozle.  ::)
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

mrs bouquet

Re: It never rains but it poorlys.
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2022, 12:21 »
OMG, Goosegirl,   What a dreadful experience for you both.  I have only had proper flu once, and I was in bed for a week really ill.   Folk get a heavy cold and say "I've got flu"    No,  once you get flu you know it's not a cold.   I am pleased that you have some help, what a kind niece to rally round.
I have had my flu jab, so hopefully I will be protected.  Take great care, both of you.  Stay warm and keep drinking lots of hot drinks and try to eat as well.   All the very best, love Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

snowdrops

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2022, 16:35 »
Oh Goosey, there are some dreadful infections doing the rounds, as Mrs B says try to eat something & keep hydrated, but we know you know that, & take your time getting back to normal. I had a horrid infection that started August bank holiday & has still not totally gone, horrendous chest infection that put me in bed for 4 or 5 days & Dr said if there was no improvement after he prescribed an inhaler they’d be looking at pneumonia. I am still coughing a bit each day & am still deaf in my left ear!! & we are 2 weeks into December.  :wub: :wub:
I found I got new symptoms each week, I wasn’t deaf until the middle of October!
Please take care & your niece really is a trooper, you must be a special aunt for her to want to help you so much
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Lardman

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2022, 17:42 »
These things always hit you hardest when you're low and run down. Keep hydrated, warm and as rested as you can - feed a cold, so whatever you can manage. The housework will still be there tomorrow. 

wighty

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2022, 19:49 »
Please look after yourself, hot drinks to stay hydrated etc.  I remember  all I wanted to eat after some illness or an another when I was younger was an apple, my Mum wanted me to have a boiled egg.  Just eat what you want even if it's not really appropriate. Much love and virtual hugs to you both.

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2022, 07:36 »
Poor both of you!

Flu is just one of the nastiest bugs you can get!

All the advice as above, and our best wishes for a decent recovery!

Goosegirl

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2022, 17:41 »
These things always hit you hardest when you're low and run down. Keep hydrated, warm and as rested as you can - feed a cold, so whatever you can manage. The housework will still be there tomorrow.
Bourgoir to housework!  :D :D :D

Goosegirl

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2022, 17:43 »
Please look after yourself, hot drinks to stay hydrated etc.  I remember  all I wanted to eat after some illness or an another when I was younger was an apple, my Mum wanted me to have a boiled egg.  Just eat what you want even if it's not really appropriate. Much love and virtual hugs to you both.
When I was ill and with my mum and when I felt like eating, she had to make me a Vesta beef curry toute suite!!  :D

Growster...

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2022, 18:15 »
Hows about a huge mug of hot Bovril?

Wakes me up every morning...

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2022, 18:19 »
So sorry to hear this GG.

Hope you and OH get your strength and health back asap, but take it easy until then. Don't over exhaust yourselves x
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

jaydig

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2022, 15:32 »
Oh, you poor soul!!! As if you don't have enough on your plate at the moment, but it's often the case that someone trying to care for another eventually picks up anything and everything that's going around, You become run down and worn out without even realising it, so as soon as you feel able, start pampering yourself a little.  Eat well and try to get some rest. Sometimes even half an hour of total relaxation is worth several hours of broken sleep, and when you're caring for someone you love it's difficult to relax enough to sleep properly in case they need you. If you haven't already, try making a batch of tasty soup and store it in the freezer (if you have space at this time of the year).  Then, if you become ill again, at least you'll have something hot, tasty and healthy at hand without much effort.
Take care of yourselves, keep warm and try to make time to relax a little.

rowlandwells

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2022, 16:01 »
sorry to here you've been ill hope your getting on the mend and keeping yourself warm being ill that's all you needed there is a lot of bugs about our village at present the best place is indoors near the fire and drinking plenty of warm drinks hope things improve for you as we are all thinking about you on this site and I'm sure we all wish you a speedy recovery keep well and safe RW

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2022, 08:58 »
I hope you are feeling better now. The flu is no joke, and it's especially awful to have around the holidays. Our whole family gets the flu jab every year to try and avoid it (touch wood).
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Goosegirl

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2022, 11:37 »
We both had the 'flu' jab well in time but - hey ho, maybe they got the wrong strain of virus this year as there have been loads of people who've gone down with it.

Growster...

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2022, 17:57 »
Apart from the flu and the covids, from which we've been blessed by their absence, Mrs Growster and I have had a pre-Christmas cold for the first time in ages!

I must have caught it last week, and given it to Mrs G, but thankfully, we're after the worst now!

As my grandmother would say, a cold has 'three days coming, three days with you and three days going'!

Stern stuff from a grand old lady on forty Ardath fags a day, and acute angina for forty years...

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 53 queries.