Hello again after a very long hiatus!!!

• 13 Replies

rhysdad

• Experienced Member
Hello again after a very long hiatus!!!
« on: September 04, 2022, 08:05 »
Hello there again! I hope you’ve all had a fruitful year!!

No one will remember me as I didn’t post a great deal when I first joined but now, after two plots that didn’t end up working out, I’m back full swing with not one,but two home plots. A lots happened, weather, war, inflation and energy and so I decided to get my butt into gear and grow from home. No more tyranny from site owners and council regulations and trying to cut dependence on supermarkets.

I (belatedly) put in a raised bed this year which gives me 8 square metres of growing space and despite late sowings it’s done ok. The soil I bought turned out to be less than impressive so I’ve put this year down to getting my eye back in with a view to hitting the plot running next year. After a lot of nagging to the fuhrer she’s also given me the go ahead to plant on the opposite side of the garden giving me a further 12/15sq metres of growing space. She’s given me a year moratorium on finally getting the back of the garden done so I’m hoping I can dig in and get some good results from it. She’s an angel  :)

Some things grew well this year: Tomatoes, spinach and a few beans but other things didn’t: pumpkins, butternut and carrots are terrible, just couldn’t get them to grow at all. Beetroot as well and I’m wondering if aforementioned soil just wasn’t up to it. When I laid the plot I just put a layer of manure in with the soil on top rather than mixing through. I guess that was a school boy error. So in prep for my kale I’ve just dug in half a bag of leftover multi purpose and some FBB. I’ll water that in and sow in a couple of days. Looking forward to getting garlic in, broad beans and maybe some winter onions....  :tongue2:

Anyway, rambling now,

Pleased to be back. 

RD (Lee)

311CE8BE-95FF-48FC-807F-706DC16D841E.jpeg
« Last Edit: September 04, 2022, 08:13 by rhysdad »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Hello again after a very long hiatus!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2022, 09:49 »
Welcome back!
I think anything that helps with the food bill is a good move, the way things are going   ::) so good luck!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2022, 10:27 »
Good to see you back and I certainly do recall your username  :D

Looks like you’re getting off to a good start growing at home with a system that suits you.  Brilliant !

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2022, 10:54 »
Good morning rhysdad,  I hope your hiatus is better and the operation was a succes!

Now where's me coat!   Cheers,  Tony. :wub: :wub:
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

snowdrops

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2022, 11:12 »
Hi there , I too remember you, pleased you’re getting back in to it. I believe I sent you some seeds last time round? :unsure:
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2022, 11:34 »
Welcome back and congratulations on your new efforts!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2022, 12:05 »

No one will remember me as I didn’t post a great deal when I first joined but now, after two plots that didn’t end up working out, I’m back full swing with not one,but two home plots. A lots happened, weather, war, inflation and energy and so I decided to get my butt into gear and grow from home. No more tyranny from site owners and council regulations and trying to cut dependence on supermarkets.

I (belatedly) put in a raised bed this year which gives me 8 square metres of growing space and despite late sowings it’s done ok. The soil I bought turned out to be less than impressive so I’ve put this year down to getting my eye back in with a view to hitting the plot running next year. After a lot of nagging to the fuhrer she’s also given me the go ahead to plant on the opposite side of the garden giving me a further 12/15sq metres of growing space. She’s given me a year moratorium on finally getting the back of the garden done so I’m hoping I can dig in and get some good results from it. She’s an angel  :)

Some things grew well this year: Tomatoes, spinach and a few beans but other things didn’t: pumpkins, butternut and carrots are terrible, just couldn’t get them to grow at all. Beetroot as well and I’m wondering if aforementioned soil just wasn’t up to it. When I laid the plot I just put a layer of manure in with the soil on top rather than mixing through. I guess that was a school boy error. So in prep for my kale I’ve just dug in half a bag of leftover multi purpose and some FBB. I’ll water that in and sow in a couple of days. Looking forward to getting garlic in, broad beans and maybe some winter onions....  :tongue2:

Anyway, rambling now,

Pleased to be back. 

RD (Lee)

Pleased to meet you rhysdad!

I also garden in raised beds in a home plot.  Your new raised bed looks to be off to a good start!

I garden down south, and on the opposite side of the pond, so if you see me posting about sowing seed at odd times of the year. or talking about odd pests or wildlife, the geography explains it.

Welcome back, I look forward to chatting with you here.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

rhysdad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2022, 12:35 »
Hi there , I too remember you, pleased you’re getting back in to it. I believe I sent you some seeds last time round? :unsure:

Crikey your memory is better than mine!!!!  I’m warmed a few have remembered me lol. How’s your growing year been?

rhysdad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2022, 12:37 »

Looks like you’re getting off to a good start growing at home with a system that suits you.  Brilliant !

Thank you, how’s your year been growing?

rhysdad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2022, 12:37 »
Welcome back!
I think anything that helps with the food bill is a good move, the way things are going   ::) so good luck!

Thanks, you had a productive year?

rhysdad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2022, 12:39 »
Good morning rhysdad,  I hope your hiatus is better and the operation was a succes!

Now where's me coat!   Cheers,  Tony. :wub: :wub:

:lol:  Definitely! Good year with growing? Last year was terrible wasn’t it

rhysdad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2022, 12:47 »

Anyway, rambling now,

Pleased to be back. 

RD (Lee)

Pleased to meet you rhysdad!

I also garden in raised beds in a home plot.  Your new raised bed looks to be off to a good start!

I garden down south, and on the opposite side of the pond, so if you see me posting about sowing seed at odd times of the year. or talking about odd pests or wildlife, the geography explains it.

Welcome back, I look forward to chatting with you here.

You too, how’s things over there? Where in the US are you?

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2022, 14:01 »

You too, how’s things over there? Where in the US are you?

I'm in Athens, Georgia, which is roughly a 2-hour drive east of Atlanta.  Athens is home to the University of Georgia.

My gardening is OK right now, getting loads off of the pole beans (French beans), and we can grow our summer vegetables for more months here, due to the warmer climate.  We had some drought and excess heat earlier this year, which is the dark side of that warmer climate.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2022, 14:30 by Subversive_plot »

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2022, 19:58 »

Thank you, how’s your year been growing?

A very mixed year to be honest. 

Water and high temperatures have been the biggest problems, things like sweetcorn have not swollen their seeds enough to be juicy and tender.  Runner beans had trouble setting but are recovering now the temperature is lower.  Tomatoes have been my best crop this year. I grow them at home in big pots so easy to water.  17kg so far from 6 plants.

xx
It won't be long now!

Started by mumsy on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post January 01, 2009, 23:17
by unaspenser
xx
how long.....

Started by celtbhoy on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 17, 2007, 08:46
by Noah'strolly
xx
How long?

Started by A Reyt Tayty on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 30, 2013, 09:07
by A Reyt Tayty
xx
how long is a LUG?

Started by freyaluck on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post January 23, 2007, 19:43
by fluffypebble

Page created in 0.404 seconds with 52 queries.