No Dig Advice

• 15 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: No Dig Advice
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2022, 10:39 »
I don't make leaf mould as such, but I have compost heaps of more twiggy stuff and leaves that I use for mulching soft fruit.  It does alright for that, but I haven't tried it on veg. 

It is quite a project to move and spread my homemade mulch.  Currently I have 3 white dumpy bags (the ones used for bulk deliveries of gravel and the like) ready to go this autumn.  They are all full so should do most of the small plot, which is 125m square.  It doesn't go half as far as you think and in my opinion, you do need a decent amount to make it a proper job.  The big advantage around my fruit is that one big project to prune, tidy, weed and mulch over the autumn and winter pays dividends in weed control, moisture retention and increased crop yields for the rest of the year.

One word of warning, don't start spreading a lot of mulch over parched soil.  It will soak up rain and stop it getting into the soil, so after our recent weather, I'll be waiting for a while yet to do my mulching. 

As in all things, research the subject, trial it and decide for yourself.  As I have said, I do both dig and no-dig, but I never double dig and it is not necessary on most soils. I spread more traditional homemade compost over areas to do no-dig for veg, use green manure and also bean trenches for all sorts of crops in addition to beans. My plots are in pretty good heart, whichever system I use.

xx
Seed potatoes - advice and general advice on how to start an allotment

Started by barnowl on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 03, 2010, 17:34
by kloggs
xx
Plot clearing advice. Opinions and advice valued.

Started by Devondumpling on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 10, 2017, 19:54
by snowdrops
xx
looking for advice

Started by joegray on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post March 21, 2014, 08:23
by diospyros
xx
some advice really

Started by Charl89 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 20, 2012, 13:06
by Charl89

Page created in 0.739 seconds with 32 queries.