Anyone pruned their own fig tree

• 9 Replies

missmoneypenny

Anyone pruned their own fig tree
« on: August 14, 2022, 20:46 »
I have a fig tree in my house ( not allotment). It has become quite overgrown and really needs crown reduction. I have contacted 3 different tree surgeons/professional  gardeners and one send a curt text saying it wasn’t for her, the other didn’t bother replying to my calls and email, and the third said they’d come and take a look then on the day they  didn’t and are now cagey about when they’ll come around to look  and quote. I’m getting fed up and considering doing it myself, however it really is large ( up to 1st floor bedroom window) so I’d need to climb it or use a ladder. I know it’s not ideal but I’m so fed up of chasing the tradesmen and women to no avail. Any advice/ comments welcome eg is it doable or not, what’s the best equipment , can you hire it etc. 

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Anyone pruned their own fig tree
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2022, 21:50 »
We prune our own fig but yours seems to have been allowed to grow out of control  :ohmy:

This might be helpful:

https://www.ashridgetrees.co.uk/gardening-advice/fruit-tree-advice/pruning-fig-trees#:~:text=So%3A,right%20back%20to%20the%20trunk.

missmoneypenny

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2022, 22:04 »
Thanks aunty it’s actually my late dads home in sunny Kent and it’s true it’s been allowed to get out of control. While dad was alive he had dementia for 5 years and I let things slip there so much to deal with. I tried last year and have just been let down by tradespeople. Anyway, I have just watched a US based video where the guy prunes hard straight after fruiting so I guess September or October to reduce vigour, I’m toying with the idea of doing that unless anyone tells me that’s a terrible idea.

jaydig

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2022, 08:28 »
I don't know if a fig tree grown indoors ever has a dormant period, but I know that the one I used to have in the garden could only be pruned when it was dormant and before it came into leaf.  They exude a white sap which, if you prune the tree at the wrong time, runs from it like a river, which can't be good for the tree. It will still produce this, even when dormant, but not in such huge quantities.  You will probably have to take a year or three to gradually reduce the tree to a more manageable size.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2022, 08:41 »
This is the most relevant section of the link I gave you:

In February in the South and March in the North prune out about 25% of the worst/barest/oldest branches down to 2-3" from the main trunk.

This will cause new growth during the summer. If the tree is overcrowded, and you do not want so much new wood, then prune some branches right back to the trunk.

In about July, with the framework of the tree in mind, keep the best new growth and cut out the rest, flush with the trunk.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2022, 09:49 »
Yes, prune them in the spring after the worst frosts are over....
and yes be careful of the sap, some people are allergic to it.

missmoneypenny

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2022, 15:07 »
Update. My husband went over to the property today ( it’s a rental house and is between tenants), to do some work on the living room window. I told him he’d have to cut some branches back to access the outside window frame and he has cut the whole tree down to the base 😱. I guess now it will either die, or this will rejuvenate it and it will start up next spring, in which case I will make sure to prune it yearly and prevent it getting out of control again. Thanks for your advice all.

jaydig

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2022, 16:05 »
Believe me it takes an awful lot to kill a fig tree.  We cut ours to a foot above ground with the intention of taking it our, which proved to be beyond us, so every year we brutally strip off any signs of growth every time it appears, and five years later the blessed thing is still trying to grow. 

missmoneypenny

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2022, 16:32 »
Hahaha I feel mine is going to follow suit. Still, no more chasing non committal tradesmen and begging them to quote for pruning. We’ve saved ourselves the bother and a couple of hundred quid.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2022, 21:05 »
I worked at a big plant nursery years ago and we got a massive fig tree in once.  It was in a 500L tub, had been pollarded back to almost nothing and was resprouting small twiggy branches from the cut ends of what had once been huge limbs.

The next summer it leafed up and grew some more and produced literally dozens and dozens of figs.  We were scoffing them every day for weeks.  A customer then got interested and bought it  :(

Anyway I agree with Jaydig.  They are survivors  :)

clip
Apple Tree pruned - what next!!

Started by greenhead on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 25, 2016, 13:55
by Aunt Sally
clip
Mis-pruned apple tree

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 25, 2015, 22:02
by Lardman
xx
Un-pruned summer raspberry advice

Started by Goosegirl on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 19, 2014, 19:01
by gobs
xx
Staking a new apple tree (and a new damson tree)

Started by Zippy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 30, 2010, 15:12
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.362 seconds with 50 queries.