leeks

• 17 Replies

rowlandwells

leeks
« on: August 03, 2022, 18:43 »
I've got our leeks growing in pots from potting them on but I'm a bit reluctant to plant them out on the allotment bed because its so dry down there I could water them in but then the ground underneath is really dry

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: leeks
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2022, 20:27 »
I'm the same, I was going to risk it and put them in this week, with a good watering in  -  but they just announced a hosepipe ban here in Kent. T
So I think I'll leave them in their washing up bowl and just give them a few liquid feeds, so they stay happy there for a bit longer.....

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2022, 05:40 »
Ours have been in a few weeks, and are already looking a bit sad, so you're both doing the right thing I reckon!

There's no chance of the soil being even half damp 6" below the surface, and a top-watering doesn't do much, but I think I'll still do that, with some liquid feed and at least let them survive until we get the rain in a few month's time...

rowlandwells

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2022, 09:54 »
good thinking growster your replies duly noted  ;)

Goosegirl

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2022, 12:29 »
How about just dibbing their holes and giving them all a good watering a couple of times before planting out so you know they're already nice and wet down below.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2022, 16:17 »
I watered a row of water where I planned to plant each row of leeks. This puddled it sufficiently to then be able to wallop a piece of wood into the ground with a mallet to create the holes for the leeks.  Then put the leeks in and watered in as usual.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Growster...

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2022, 16:21 »
I watered a row of water where I planned to plant each row of leeks. This puddled it sufficiently to then be able to wallop a piece of wood into the ground with a mallet to create the holes for the leeks.  Then put the leeks in and watered in as usual.

That works well Yorkie!

If the ground is really solid - like now, a 2'0" piece of 1" copper tube with one end cut at a slant makes a good hole for leeks, and you can do it sitting down on a gardening kneeler - upside down of course!

rowlandwells

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2022, 16:39 »
that sounds a good way to plant out leeks but the ground on our allotment is still very dry below ground so I'm unsure if we should plant or not   maybe give it a few days to see if there's any forthcoming rain  :unsure: rain what rain the man said  :D :D

Growster...

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2022, 18:11 »
Forgot to say that you need a decent mallet of course!

Potterer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2022, 20:59 »
I have also planted out. I watered the soil well in a row before dibbering and then watered in as usual I have had to water several times as it’s just been so dry and they looked a bit poorly! In the past it would be rare for me to water them even once after planting. That said, they are now growing away well so hopefully I’m winning

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2022, 10:11 »
I planted my leeks out a few weeks back and was worried they would suffer when I was away last week. Pleased to say after giving them a good watering before leaving they don’t appear to show any signs of stress. Looks like I will have to keep watering this week though given forecast.
Keep digging

snowdrops

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2022, 11:23 »
I’ve just managed to buy 3 trays of leeks off the man on our market yesterday as mine are still like strands of cotton  >:( but as it set to reach 30c in the week I think I’ll give them a good feed & aim to plant out next week. As I do no dig I’m intending on parting the mulch & watering the rows well the night before or two, then I’ll make the holes with my dibbler or maybe my bulb planter as they’re in modules, popping in some chicken pellets, watering in & pulling the mulch back around them, then I’ll be covering with enviromesh as we have the leek moth thingy on our plots, so that’ll be next week taken care of :lol: :lol:
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

lettice

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2022, 12:30 »
My leek seedlings have been in the ground since early to mid June in two raised bed areas.
Have always planted them end May to mid June.
Sow mine in 9 inch pots mid Feb in a cold greenhouse. My planting time is when they are 9-12 inches high and a thick pencil width.

Must ask, it does seem late now to be planting out leeks. Are these later varieties?
Mine are Musselburgh, start picking from late October to March/April.

What I do when planting out in hotter weather.
Take a washing up bowl full of water and pour over the area for sowing/planting.
That covers an area about 5ft square approx.
Leave for say half a day for the water to drain through.
Think for leeks that may work too, so you can get your dibber in easily and make a nice dryish hole (with letting the water spread through), add the leek and top up with water as normal.

Mind, not sure about hanging a piece of hose on your watering can spout if you live in a hosepipe ban area, haha!

AndyRVTR

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2022, 16:07 »
I was thinking the same, is it not late to be planting leeks? My blue de solais were sown on 6th March and I planted them out on 2nd June.
Last year my Musselburgh were sown on 23rd Feb and planted out on 23rd May.

AnneB

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2022, 17:41 »
I have planted Bleu de Solaise late before and they seem to do okay.
I put some in in mid June.
I have a second batch to go in. 
Both lots will do well.

xx
Leeks

Started by shed head on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post March 12, 2013, 09:31
by Auntiemogs
xx
leeks

Started by doug hutch on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 20, 2011, 07:53
by JayG
xx
leeks

Started by smc on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 06, 2010, 15:06
by Trillium
xx
Leeks

Started by sazzy123 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 06, 2009, 19:13
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.322 seconds with 55 queries.