Compacted soil.

• 19 Replies

Goosegirl

Re: Compacted soil.
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2022, 12:26 »
Sounds good to me!
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

rowlandwells

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2022, 16:33 »
I've been waiting for some rain so I can use the tractor and scuffle the scuffle digs deep in the ground when and if the ground gets a good rain on it I can pull the ground up so the water gets down into the ground the same goes for my raised beds as I said I dig them with a fork same principle I never rotavate the ground unless its been dug or ploughed first because the rotavator seems to pan the underneath of the ground as I always believe the ground should be open or loose for the best results in growing

Potterer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2022, 21:14 »
Hi. If you are not too intent on planting this year, I would wait for some good rain to really penetrate the soil r then just put your well rotted manure on top to a depth of 4-6 inches if possible, then leave it over winter for the worms to do their thing. You can then plant directly into it next year. I wouldn’t rotivate it any more but give the soil a chance to recover and develop good micorrhysal networks and soil health.

Russell Atterbury

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2022, 09:21 »
Thanks for the last couple of replies. I don't really understand RW's scuffle comments, but Potterer, no I don't intend to do any growing this year, so if you think it best to wait for a good rain, then spread a thick layer of manure, I will do this......I only hope ground that has been deprived of worm life for presumably a couple of years will at least attract enough to do a bit of a job on my patch.

snowdrops

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2022, 11:30 »
To be honest I feel that unless it’s had really heavy machinery driving all over it, it probably isn’t as compacted as you might thin, unless perhaps if the plastic grass was laid professionally with the soil removed & hardcore etc put down. It’s most likely just this years weather conditions. I’d add a couple of layers of cardboard & as much well rotted manure/mulch as you can muster. As you aren’t going to grow on it this year, wait for the winter rains & then I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised. If not at least you could rotorvate then. But as I practice no dig I think you’ll have saved yourself & the soil a lot of hard work & the soil & microorganisms will benefit tremendously plus you won’t be inundated with all the weed seeds that you will inevitably bring to the surface & provide with the light they need to grow.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

clip
Really compacted soil, best way to treat it?

Started by al78 on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post August 28, 2013, 15:38
by Ema
xx
SOIL - HELP PLEASE

Started by Shandy on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 11, 2008, 16:56
by woodburner
xx
Top soil?

Started by heygrow on Grow Your Own

30 Replies
Last post November 06, 2011, 18:07
by Benandbill
xx
Soil pH again.

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 21, 2011, 00:10
by viettaclark

Page created in 0.44 seconds with 41 queries.