Poly tunnel wiped out - any ideas?

• 6 Replies

Gleavo

• Experienced Member
Poly tunnel wiped out - any ideas?
« on: June 30, 2022, 17:52 »
Hi

This is happened in less than a week - everything in the poly is affected by it and I'm probably going to lose the lot - any ideas what it is? It's spread to toms, all types of peppers and aubergines. Nothing has escaped so it likes anything and everything.

I think it started on the gherkins? I got rid of those and sprayed everything with my bug spray mix (I don't use proprietary, just a mix of 1/3 soft soap, 1/3 veg oil and 1/3 water and bicarb). Obviously too late. Never had anything like this before and done no different this year.

If you can't make out on the pics it's basically tiny pin prick black dots on the leaves. they then curl and drop off quite quickly.

Thanks! G

IMG_1359.JPG
IMG_1360.JPG
IMG_1361.JPG
IMG_1362.JPG
« Last Edit: June 30, 2022, 18:26 by Gleavo »

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Poly tunnel wiped out - any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2022, 19:38 »
That could be red spider mite.  Can you see any webbing on the leaves.  It looks like there might be some in the pictures, but it is hard to see for certain.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2022, 22:01 »
Agree with NS - first time ever I've had to bin an indoor cayenne pepper plant whose leaves were totally destroyed, and yes, there were several small silk webs crawling with tiny yellowish spiders (they're not always red.)

They don't like high humidity, but once established you might have to consider a proprietary insecticide as a desperate emergency measure.  :(
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Gleavo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2022, 06:57 »
Thanks both! A quick look at RHS site confirms your suspicions. Everything is affected so I'm going to cut my losses and empty the poly and give it a thorough cleaning with Jeyes before the end of the season.

cc

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2022, 10:22 »
Have you thought about sulphur bomb. Everything starts of fresh when I use it.

Gleavo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2022, 08:36 »
Thanks cc brilliant tip. I will certainly use one of those. I'll clean everything out, leave the poly over winter and then use one in the spring to, like you say, start anew.  :)

JacsH

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2022, 10:52 »
Hi, I tend to agree with the others as we have very definite red spider in the conservatory on a nectarine. But, as you are in a poly tunnel I wonder if it could be something else although can't suggest what, to be fair. Poly tunnels, well ours, gets very humid even with doors open, it's like a Turkish bath and red spiders avoid humidity as much as possible. I'd also be loathe to clear and leave said tunnel until the spring - clear out, fumigate, get the humidity really up and sow Chinese Cabbage, Pak Choi, December potatoes etc etc. Keep your eyes peeled too and spray with Neem Oil in water with a bit of Ecover or similar as soon as or before you see anything. What about cutting back some of the best peppers, potting them and taking outside. Bring them in when/if they survive and keep them through the winter? Can't waste a good poly tunnel for those expensive veg over the winter.

xx
poly tunnel

Started by carolie on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 16, 2010, 15:56
by mumofstig
xx
Poly tunnel

Started by carolie on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 05, 2010, 21:47
by TheSpartacat
xx
poly tunnel

Started by Thompson24 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 22, 2009, 13:41
by shay
xx
poly tunnel

Started by kitch on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post March 09, 2010, 13:36
by BostonInbred

Page created in 0.446 seconds with 37 queries.