Epsom salts and comfrey

• 15 Replies

cc

Epsom salts and comfrey
« on: June 14, 2022, 14:15 »
I am not sure if I read it on here?  do plants benefit from Epsom added to comfrey?
Or is there something that comfrey lacks??
Thank you in advance for your highly informative answers.

geordiekev

Re: Epsom salts and comfrey
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2022, 15:29 »
Never heard of this before. However there is an article about adding epsom salts to comfrey on this website. I actually spray my tomatoes with a dilution of epsom salts every month if they are in the greenhouse. Dont use epsom salts for anything else though.

cc

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2022, 16:32 »
Never heard of this before. However there is an article about adding epsom salts to comfrey on this website. I actually spray my tomatoes with a dilution of epsom salts every month if they are in the greenhouse. Dont use epsom salts for anything else though.
What are the proportion?
Thanks

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2022, 16:54 »
Epsom salts are magnesium sulfate, so they provide the plant nutrients Mg and S, both of which are important. Small, multiple applications applied at frequent intervals across the growing season are better than one large application.  As suggested by geordiekev, it can be used as a foliar spray, but some of what's applied to the leaves will wash to the ground with the first rain, so you can also apply directly to the soil if you want.

Application rates are usually based on a soil test and the crop you are growing.  You might be able to find suggested utilization rates for your crops online, and estimate your baseline application from that information.

This doesn't relate to comfrey, but I hope it is somewhat useful.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2022, 17:03 by Subversive_plot »
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

rowlandwells

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2022, 18:09 »
a good gardener and friend of ours recommended we use Epsom salts on our tomato plants but I would definitely not use comfrey for anything whatsoever its not even aloud to grow on our allotments

geordiekev

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2022, 20:59 »
What are the proportion?
Thanks
i tea spoon per 2 litre spray.

geordiekev

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2022, 21:01 »
Epsom salts are magnesium sulfate, so they provide the plant nutrients Mg and S, both of which are important. Small, multiple applications applied at frequent intervals across the growing season are better than one large application.  As suggested by geordiekev, it can be used as a foliar spray, but some of what's applied to the leaves will wash to the ground with the first rain, so you can also apply directly to the soil if you want.

Application rates are usually based on a soil test and the crop you are growing.  You might be able to find suggested utilization rates for your crops online, and estimate your baseline application from that information.

As I said in my post i spray on tomato plants in the greenhouse, not outside.

geordiekev

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2022, 21:02 »
a good gardener and friend of ours recommended we use Epsom salts on our tomato plants but I would definitely not use comfrey for anything whatsoever its not even aloud to grow on our allotments
What!!!!!!!!! you do not use and are not allowed comfrey?

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2022, 22:41 »

As I said in my post i spray on tomato plants in the greenhouse, not outside.

Yes, that might be true for you, but in his question, cc didn't specify if he was planning to use indoors or outdoors. My point is that whether it stays on leaves or washes off to the soil, it finds it's way into the plants, and provides nutrients.

cc

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2022, 12:11 »
Why wouldn't you use comfrey "whatsoever"?
Feel free to explain.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2022, 14:27 by cc »

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2022, 15:51 »
I would definitely not use comfrey for anything whatsoever its not even aloud to grow on our allotments

Why is that, roland.  As long as you grow Bocking 14, which has virtually sterile flowers, there should be no problem.

rowlandwells

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2022, 22:20 »
 comfrey not 100% sure if its safe to use on veg from what I've been told so I'm holding back until I can be re-assured its completely safe to use ?

geordiekev

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2022, 07:23 »
I use comfrey tea on my pumpkins, peppers, courgettes, tomatoes, beans, cape gooseberries, raspberries, gojiberries, honeyberries and all of my flowers. Nettle tea on the "greens". I do not use comfrey or nettle tea on my strawberries because it will be absorbed by the fruit, and tastes foul. Big mistake many years ago. The flowers produced by comfrey are a magnet for pollinators, and yes they are sterile but that has not stopped my few plants from developing into a veritable wall of comfrey through root growth. Wouldn't be without it for its aesthetic value, environmental value and gardening value.

cc

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2022, 13:03 »
comfrey not 100% sure if its safe to use on veg from what I've been told so I'm holding back until I can be re-assured its completely safe to use ?
It's not possible to prove anything is 100% safe. Including Epsom salts.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2022, 13:04 by cc »

AnneB

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2022, 07:54 »
I would certainly ask why you are not allowed comfrey on your allotments.
It is well recognised as one of the best organic natural fertilisers there is.  It is recommended in every organic gardening book or guide I have ever read.  It is easy to grow and a ready supply every year from a clump in the corner of your plot.
There is no justification for banning it. It is perfectly safe.

xx
Epsom Salts

Started by Jim T on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post June 04, 2007, 15:40
by The Dalai Farmer
xx
Epsom salts

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post July 13, 2015, 22:45
by LandShark
question
Epsom Salts

Started by Gardener Girl on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 21, 2010, 22:38
by viettaclark
xx
Epsom salts

Started by Thephoenix572 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 07, 2011, 02:39
by Paul Plots

Page created in 0.744 seconds with 51 queries.