Wind Protection

• 5 Replies

Abunndance

Wind Protection
« on: June 04, 2022, 15:24 »
Hi Everyone from Sunny Norfolk!  We live on the coast and are subject to wind from all directions and quite fierce at times.  The rest of the island could be practically still and we will be blowing a gale over here. :ohmy:  Our tomatoes are in a strop over the wind, and although they are staked well and in good soil, well watered, it isn't just good enough for them.   :dry:I have three different varieties and they all are acting the same.  There must be a barrier, of some sort, out there, that you could pass on to me, please?  ;)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Wind Protection
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2022, 16:52 »
I'd suggest a barrier using debris netting, aka scaffold netting. As long as the posts are firmly in the ground and the netting is firmly attached, it should really help.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2022, 17:39 »
I'd suggest a barrier using debris netting, aka scaffold netting. As long as the posts are firmly in the ground and the netting is firmly attached, it should really help.
That's what I use on the plot as the wind funnels, and gusts, up the railway line....

Blewit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2022, 20:00 »
We use debris net too as it slows the wind rather than deflecting it.

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2022, 06:34 »
I think John has some ideas on wind protection, as his greenhouse finished up in a heap on the opposite coast!

I agree about debris netting which is everlasting, and not too bad to look at if you get the dark green stuff!

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2022, 11:12 »
Have you considered a support that is more horizontal than vertical? Something like a coarse sturdy horizontal lattice, held 2 feet above the ground? The plants could clamber across that horizontally, the tomatoes would still be held off the ground.

I'm thinking that plants that are already horizontal can't get blown over.

I think back to commercial tomato operations I once saw in Puerto Rico, the plants grew across the ground with no support.  Some fruits were not picked if they were in ground contact / soiled, but the plants still produced well.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

xx
Protection!!

Started by iamnew on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 08, 2007, 22:08
by richyrich7
xx
protection

Started by slowcompost on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 05, 2007, 12:28
by WG.
xx
Protection!?

Started by turnpike on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 29, 2010, 23:27
by turnpike
xx
wind

Started by snow white on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post April 21, 2013, 09:26
by A Reyt Tayty

Page created in 0.598 seconds with 44 queries.