Perging the Greenhouse

• 11 Replies

rugbymad40

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.activeights.co.uk
Perging the Greenhouse
« on: February 21, 2008, 13:58 »
Time has come for the green house to start earning its keep for this season.  However for the past two years I have suffered from tomato blight in there.

Is there anything I can do to fumigate it to kill off any bugs left from last year?  I usually replace 50% of the soil with new every couple of years, but until now that is all I have done.

Any assistance and advice will as usual be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards

Rugbymad40
Enjoying the traditional ways and values of life.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Perging the Greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 14:37 »
Spray it all down with jeyes fluid or use a sulphur candle to fumigate or both   :D
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

wighty

Perging the Greenhouse
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 16:14 »
I didn't think you were supposed to let Jeyes fluid come into contact with soil any more.  When creosote wentthey wanted to get rid of Jeyes as well but negotiated that it would only be used as a discenfectant from now on and not soil steralisation as it had been.  Then they were allowed to keep it.  I know they don't do the Jeyes Tree Wash any more .  I think this is for the same reason,

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
Perging the Greenhouse
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 17:08 »
Possibly Wighty, but just cause the EU who create this madness says so don't mean you can't  :wink:  and the amount of fluid hitting the soil is only minute IMHO.

wighty

Perging the Greenhouse
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 17:40 »
I've just read John's rant on the subject of chemicals you can't use any more and I agree wholeheartedly (big word).  Thing is I stock them in my shop but the manufacturers don't take them back and give me a refund.  I have to dispose of them myself and it costs me money.  It doesn't actually but I'm not saying what I do with them.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
Perging the Greenhouse
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 20:43 »
Just plain stupidity and bureaucracy if you ask me, theres a little diy shop near me selling that liquid club root stuff still, half a mind to buy the bloomin lot and use it for swaps  :lol:

ditchdigger

• Experienced Member
Re: Perging the Greenhouse
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2008, 21:44 »
Quote from: "rugbymad40"
  for the past two years I have suffered from tomato blight in there.

Is there anything I can do to fumigate it to kill off any bugs left from last year?  I usually replace 50% of the soil with new every couple of years, b
       are you sure its blight ? blight is far more common out doors .     I personally would sterilise the greenhouse and the soil with either Jeyes, or amillatox.
If it wasn't for chemicals we'd be organic.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
Re: Perging the Greenhouse
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2008, 21:49 »
Quote from: "ditchdigger"
Quote from: "rugbymad40"
  for the past two years I have suffered from tomato blight in there.

Is there anything I can do to fumigate it to kill off any bugs left from last year?  I usually replace 50% of the soil with new every couple of years, b
       are you sure its blight ? blight is far more common out doors .     I personally would sterilise the greenhouse and the soil with either Jeyes, or amillatox.

Good point Ditchdigger and it needs a host to survive the spores die after a while without a host.
Do you shade the greenhouse Rugbymad ? it could be leaf scorching rather than blight, similar looking

ditchdigger

• Experienced Member
Perging the Greenhouse
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2008, 22:08 »
grey mould (botrytis) maybe.

matron

Perging the Greenhouse
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2008, 08:59 »
Quote from: "richyrich7"
Just plain stupidity and bureaucracy if you ask me, theres a little diy shop near me selling that liquid club root stuff still, half a mind to buy the bloomin lot and use it for swaps  :lol:

I'll swap  :lol:  :lol:
Had difficulty with club root a couple of years ago and couldn't find anything until a lady in the village came up with 'a band substance' from the back of her garage. SHHHHHHHHH  don't tell.

paintedlady

Perging the Greenhouse
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2008, 10:25 »
... please be careful of the contents of some of these "banned" substances.  Yes, it may be down to bureacracy, but some are downright dangerous for example, carcinogenic, or may break down into something equally nasty.  I found out that the person who has the plot opposite mine uses some mercury compound for knocking back some pest or disease :shock:
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

drdave

Perging the Greenhouse
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2008, 12:08 »
I had blight on my Toms last year in the greenhouse. I carried it in from the spuds I think, but I am not gowning and gloving up just to go in a greenhouse!

I dont think the spores last too well. In addition, you would still need the set of conditions of a series of warm damp days to run a blight risk. If you get it again, it likely came from outside the greenhouse not the bedsoil.
If we have a warm dry summer.... no problem! :lol:

question
New Greenhouse

Started by SPUDMIESTER on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post February 07, 2010, 21:47
by Aidy
xx
New Greenhouse

Started by Griffo on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 29, 2009, 17:51
by funkydelia
xx
My Greenhouse

Started by Squirrers on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 12, 2009, 16:24
by mumofstig
xx
greenhouse

Started by Robin Redbreast on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 15, 2009, 11:27
by Kristen

Page created in 0.516 seconds with 28 queries.