After harvesting 'Pentland Javelin' - what next...?

• 6 Replies

Growster...

After harvesting 'Pentland Javelin' - what next...?
« on: April 25, 2022, 08:12 »
It's been so long since I grew potatoes at home, and since we had 'The Patch', I just have to get back to thinking what to do with the ground after the earlies have finished!

On 'The Patch', we left all the empty spud beds to naturalise before we re-used the ground, but here, space is at a premium, so we're wondering what to plant out from around the end of June! I already have an area put by for some leeks and they could go in I suppose - but it's a bit of a balancing act!

I guess that quick-growing salad crops are the best, and maybe some late carrots, but if anyone has any further ideas, please feel free to add to the list, as the soil will be in pretty good condition by then! I don't mind setting a few seeds for transplant, as there's some room in the GH for a few trays, up high !

steven c

• Experienced Member
Re: After harvesting 'Pentland Javelin' - what next...?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2022, 09:22 »
after scrapping failed strawberry bed 8x4 we sowed early nantes carrots they germinated very quickly and gave us a great crop this was mid June we now leave sowing until end April early May much better germination than in cold soil. we also do this with some of our potato tubs after harvest.
from bow like to grow

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2022, 09:58 »
Depends what you like eating and time frame. Leeks is obvious follow on but what about some purple sprouting broccoli I’m still eating mine from a planting last year. For a rapid result radishes are good.
Keep digging

jaydig

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2022, 19:09 »
Perhaps fill in with a few quick salad crops, followed by autumn planting garlic and autumn sown broad beans.

Contadino

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2022, 20:20 »
I put some rows of French beans in to follow my potatoes last year and they did fairly well. I'd grown the beans in modules before lifting my potatoes. Ferrari iirc, and the freezer's still full of them.

lettice

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2022, 08:51 »
I have two raised beds that are dedicated to first and second early potato crops and have been for decades.

I will be finishing my picking of them in late August.
I plant 'pick and come again' type lettuce seedlings and sow regular radish crops from September through to November in there and do put in a few large 9 inch high pots that have baby carrots inside. They would have been sown from now in the pots and moved into the beds later, as I then make a new sowing of carrots in pots in the pre move area that stay put.
Do stop all the lettuce/radish growing and would have emptied the carrot pots by mid December as over winter I start throwing down plenty of homemade compost and kitchen scraps on the beds for the worms to pull down for the next Spring potato sowing.

Growster...

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2022, 06:26 »
All good ideas here - thank you all!

I'd forgotten about beetroot as we'd said last year that we never use them all up, but a small crop later on would be marvellous!

I like Lamb's lettuce and Rocket; Mrs Growster doesn't, but she's all for spinach and lettuce so that'll go in!

As for radush, we grow Annabelle which are pretty good in trays as well, so we've invested in a couple more long 6" deep trays to bring them on and just pop outside when there's some space - still in their trays.

Not really into winter veg now, the PSB takes up too much room, sadly... I like the idea of next year's broad beans though, as they could make a difference - we always grow those, usually the short variety!

xx
pentland javelin

Started by Bailz on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 02, 2011, 07:53
by mumofstig
xx
Pentland Javelin potatoes

Started by Broadhaven on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post July 22, 2009, 17:52
by lovemyveg
xx
Pentland Javelin earlies???

Started by skeltonsuperstud on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 16, 2009, 18:19
by sunshineband
xx
Pentland Javelin. When to harvest

Started by Broadhaven on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 15, 2009, 18:30
by DD.

Page created in 1.943 seconds with 43 queries.