Transplanting Swiss chard / leaf bet

• 4 Replies

Anton

Transplanting Swiss chard / leaf bet
« on: March 26, 2022, 14:36 »
I sowed some leaf beets(chards) last year, they did not freeze and are now starting to grow again. Unfortunately, I have to move to another allotment. Is it possible to transfer these plants to the new site, and will they continue to grow (I know they will eventually bolt)?

Anton

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Transplanting Swiss chard / leaf bet
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2022, 19:38 »
If they have overwintered, they usually have pretty large roots on them.  It might be worth a go if you can take a lump of soil with them.

You can move plants with roots encased in soil fairly easily by sliding them onto a thick piece of plastic and using that to lift them.  You will need to have some spare soil to fill the holes.  It could be a lot of work for plants that are going to bolt  :unsure:

If you leave them behind, you could try sowing mustard greens, Cima di rapa or oriental greens on your new plot to provide a fast crop to tide you over.

Anton

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2022, 20:37 »
Thanks a lot for your advice.

lettice

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2022, 10:05 »
Although you can overwinter chard, for final picking, they will soon bolt.
If its Perpetual spinach, mine normally last for a few years.

Did many many moons ago, move some Perpetual spinach in Spring after the plant had overwintered (moved to a new raised bed) and it worked fine.
As above, they plants will have a bulky root base.
I dug in a trowel around the root that I felt first and pulled up the root and soil with it and it transplanted with ease and produced a good crop for another year.

One thing I do love abut Perpetual spinach, is its available for harvest through the year with continuing two year and new plants.

Easier though is to get some sown. My perpetual Spinach was sown second week of March and the seedlings are now a few inches high. Will be transplanting outside  in a few weeks.
Will be sowing my Chard probably next week or so and plant out late April.

By the way my perpetual Spinach freezes fine.
I freeze some every time I pick too much. Mainly to drop in a lasagne. Cooks out from frozen in minutes or just steamed for 15 minutes from frozen.
I wash it, squeeze the water out well ' an old fashioned salad spinner', make into 'tennis size' balls and place the balls into a container in the freezer straight away. No blanching.
Nice thing is the balls do not stick together at all really, so you can just keeping adding and pull out one easily.

Never tried freezing Chard, not sure it would quite have or hold onto the same consistency.

Anton

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2022, 16:44 »
Thanks for your reply.

Anton

xx
Swiss Chard

Started by NormandyMary on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post January 28, 2009, 21:56
by Stripey_cat
xx
Swiss Chard

Started by rockyracoon on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post April 11, 2010, 16:36
by Rangerkris
xx
Swiss chard

Started by JaK on Grow Your Own

68 Replies
Last post February 18, 2011, 21:16
by Paul Plots
xx
Swiss chard

Started by grenhouse on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 01, 2009, 07:15
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.579 seconds with 42 queries.