have you made a start on the allotments yet?

• 22 Replies

rowlandwells

have you made a start on the allotments yet?
« on: March 11, 2022, 19:12 »
I guess some of you have started on the allotments weather permitting if your gardening on light soils then that would be an advantage unfortunately our allotments are still to wet to consider any planting however we have been busy seed sowing in the greenhouse mainly spring onions main season onions cabbage leeks and broad beans and peas

if the weather keeps fine next week we can plant overwintered cauliflower and cabbage plants  in our raised beds because the beds seem a bit dryer than to open ground fingers crossed

I would like to sow our onion plants and sets at the first opportunity also had my red onion sets delivered 2k of red baron today that also need planting

I'm just wondering if I should sow brussels seed or if its a bit to early ?

Offwego

• Experienced Member
Re: have you made a start on the allotments yet?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2022, 19:39 »
No planting externally yet just preparation
Planted some earlies in the polytunnel
The earlies will go in next weekend outside the rows are open and manured ready

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2022, 20:10 »
I keep meaning to start ...  ::) :lol:
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2022, 20:51 »
The only things I've actually got in the soil are garlic and some winter-hardy peas.

AndyRVTR

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2022, 07:04 »
Been planting outside for a couple of weeks now, having raised beds means my soil is  warmer & drier than the ground itself. I've got garlic, broad beans, peas & onion sets growing that I planted out on 3rd Feb, I even sowed a row of carrots & peas yesterday and my maincrop potatoes are in though I will say that I have fleece at the ready if the weather changes for the worse.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2022, 07:06 by AndyRVTR »

rowlandwells

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2022, 19:42 »
I would like to start planting out on our raised beds but the long range weather forecast looks a bit grim for the following  week snow is forecast but I thought it mite be more for the north rather than the south  :unsure:

Snowboar

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2022, 06:44 »
I’ve got broad beans overwinter onions and garlic in where is the best place to check the forecast 😀

lettice

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2022, 10:55 »
Only thing that is out nicely planted out a week or so back are the Broad beans, sowed beginning of last month.
They are coming on nicely outside, with plenty more to be planted out next week.

Mostly racking over the raised beds and plots and preparing the soil with all the overwintered compost and compost from the bins.

This time really is seed sowing time for me in the greenhouse, which is now flowing to the brim with seedlings along with the spare room.
Next week is tomato, cucumber and gherkin sowing time for me.

I sowed my Brussels Sprouts last week and will do staged sowings over the next few weeks.
They do seem to catch up in April to the same size, ready for palnting out in May.

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2022, 16:44 »
Dug over one bed ready for earlies. Sown some beetroot at home in a heated propagator just back from a trip to London amazed to find they have germinated already.
Keep digging

Snow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2022, 20:06 »
Not planted anything out yet, everything is in modules in the greenhouse. I'll plant them out in a couple of weeks. Picked the last winter cabbage today, was a 2kg one. Still have leeks, spring greens, purple sprouting,  garlic in the ground. I don't sow sprouts for another month

Debz

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2022, 09:37 »
Only done some tidying so far.  The ground here is far too cold to be planting anything into yet.  Almost every day last week had a frosty start so I'd be wasting my time and seeds.

Rob the rake

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2022, 00:03 »
My plot is now 100% raised beds, which allows a much earlier start - essential on what was a heavy clay soil, but which is now closer to a heavy loam due to regular applications of compost, seaweed and sharp sand. I try to use some kind of mulch on each bed, as much to prevent the rain from beating the goodness out of it as anything else!
The uphill side of the garden is still a little wet for cultivation, but the beds on the downhill side are spot on.
 The only outdoor sowings so far are parsnips and shallots, planted during the last root period of the moon calendar, although the broad beans and early peas are going in tomorrow (fruiting plant period), followed by spuds, hamburg parsley and salsify in the next root period beginning on the 19th of this month. Carrots will be sown in the greenhouse border at the same time; it gives a heavier, earlier crop, largely free of carrot fly and permits easy harvest in the winter, too.
A calloused palm and dirty fingernails precede a Green Thumb.

steven c

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2022, 06:40 »
planted autumn sown onions [spare ailsa craig seed experiment] that were wintered in greenhouse all beds no dig and ready to go some peas out at home on raised bed.
from bow like to grow

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2022, 17:54 »
Dug over two beds at the plot this afternoon. Also sowed some peas in the conservatory in some guttering to give them a head start. The seed is rather old so it’s a gamble but I think it’s better than throwing them away.

rowlandwells

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2022, 19:30 »
we actually bit the bullet and planted some spring cabbage that we overwintered in the polytunnel going to plant out some onion plants also overwintered and some cauliflower plants same all planted in raised beds however the open ground is drying up quite well if it keeps dry I'm  going to get the tractor out next week and cultivate the ground ready for planting fingers crossed  :D :D

xx
new to allotments.....were to start

Started by rich.h44 on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post May 24, 2010, 18:10
by corynsboy
xx
MADE A START!!

Started by mrswaff on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 12, 2010, 19:45
by mrswaff
xx
made a start

Started by the spiv on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 17, 2012, 20:40
by 240173paul
xx
OK - So I've Made a Start

Started by chubby on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 05, 2010, 22:36
by Lardman

Page created in 0.569 seconds with 53 queries.