The most nutritious varieties of veg

• 8 Replies

perris

The most nutritious varieties of veg
« on: March 04, 2022, 07:38 »
If you haven't already bought your seeds for this year, you might want to consider reading Jo Robinson's Eating on the Wild Side 2013. It is a revelation on the very variable nutritive value of different varieties of the same veg. For example, modern sweetcorn varieties can be 40% sugar, and cooking a corn in its husk is the best way to retain its nutrients; spring onions are one of the most nutritious varieties of all the alliums; and it also has advice on storage and preparation, e.g to preserve most of garlic's goodness when cooking it, just set it aside for 10 minutes after chopping/ slicing/ pressing it before you apply heat (which destroys an important enyzme that's activated by the cutting).
« Last Edit: March 04, 2022, 07:56 by perris »

Growster...

Re: The most nutritious varieties of veg
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2022, 08:33 »
I didn't know both those facts, Perris, so it's an interesting thought!

I still rate any pulses high on the veg list because of the protein count, and you could almost live on them, but there may be 'social consequences'...

During the potato famine in Ireland apparently, some families just boiled any spud they could find, skins and all, and survived without any problems at all, but again, I wouldn't want to try that nowadays!

perris

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2022, 05:48 »
there's a chapter on pulses - including methods to reduce the consequences of eating them  :lol:
and one on potatoes of course; most of the goodness in most veg is in the skins, so it's a pity that we don't usually eat it!

Snowboar

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2022, 10:22 »
I watch something the other day where it was saying that taste was linked to nutritional value and that a lot of f1 variety’s have lost the taste and nutrition it was some documentary on Netflix carnt remember which one

cc

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2022, 22:28 »
I have an advantage when cooking potatoes as I never remove the skin. For instance, for roast potatoes I just cut thick slices and brown each side.
Obviously my advantage over those who peel is bone idleness.

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2022, 12:36 »
I have an advantage when cooking potatoes as I never remove the skin. For instance, for roast potatoes I just cut thick slices and brown each side.
Obviously my advantage over those who peel is bone idleness.

That really does sound fabulous, CC!

I've never even considered doing that, and while we love baked potatoes, your idea needs to have some serious consideration from the Managing Director...Mrs Growster!

Spuds are good for Vit C too, so I'm preparing a report as we speak!

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2022, 08:08 »
there's a chapter on pulses - including methods to reduce the consequences of eating them  :lol:
and one on potatoes of course; most of the goodness in most veg is in the skins, so it's a pity that we don't usually eat it!

Potato skins are more often eaten here, but it does depend on the variety, and method of cooking.  A thorough scrub is essential too.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

garrarufa

• Munin's Sketch-blog
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2022, 21:14 »
Maybe look into how much nutritional value seedlings hold over their grown counterparts?

I am not fully affirmative on this, but a few years before the whole microgreens "hey, look at me I'm trendy and making a difference" type of people showed up and started blogging a narcissistic stream of their perfect life, I looked at a medium sample of studies (<-- meaning until I got bored one Sunday morning and/or my teapot was empty so I ended that session and went on with my day), and came away with the notion that it seems reasonable to suggest they hold a higher, more condensed nutritional level.

However, I remember looking at graphs and data lists and, like anything these days; the language and words being used did not quite match with the "compared to" line in my head. Compared to what? I'm very cautious on those kind of things, but it hasn't stopped me from growing masses of snippy-scoffy things on my windowsills. If nothing else, they look cute and you have the joy of growing more things all year round.

I've grow mustard, radish, beets, mizuna etc... as mass snip greens in the same way you would entertain cress: Sarnies, soups, salads, stir-fries, snacks, salsas, scoffing... If they get a little too big and you don't find the time to use them in a meal, just blend them up with whatever else at hand. Half a cucumber in the back of the fridge, the last few spring onions, that lime you forgot about, garlic, chilies... freeze and use for thickeners in more soups, more salsas, more slow cooker suppers.

Sounds all very healthful, but melt a little ghee then take it off the heat... throw in some microgreens and stir it up for a few seconds. Then bung (yes, bung) it on a bacon sarnie, and now you're talking!  :D

I'd be interested if anyone else has looked into the whole microgreen/nutrition ratio. I got bored of the research and just wanted to see things grow fast and then kill and eat them.  :dry:

Rob the rake

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2022, 23:10 »
I watch something the other day where it was saying that taste was linked to nutritional value and that a lot of f1 variety’s have lost the taste and nutrition it was some documentary on Netflix carnt remember which one

F1's have their place and are particularly useful for a new plot with unimproved and relatively poor soil, but I don't believe they were developed for home gardeners, so flavour and nutrition have been sacrificed for shelf, life, uniformity, appearance...all those things that realgrowers don't give a stuff about. Give me an old fave with belting flavour, any day of the week!

Some veg are an improvement - calabrese, for instance, where the old open-pollinated types don't head up in the same way. Whether their nutritional value has suffered is moot, but probably true.

Very good tip, BTW, I look forward to buying and reading this book. Thanks. :)
A calloused palm and dirty fingernails precede a Green Thumb.

xx
Which varieties... Help please

Started by Parsnip on Grow Your Own

31 Replies
Last post May 08, 2009, 14:07
by monkeywobbler
xx
Which Varieties???

Started by Bethslosttheplot on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 25, 2008, 12:15
by compostqueen
xx
Pea varieties

Started by Yorkie on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 24, 2008, 15:18
by Yorkie
xx
Strawberry varieties

Started by WG. on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post April 29, 2007, 14:44
by sausage

Page created in 0.524 seconds with 45 queries.