Cucumber Seeds planting

• 10 Replies

Trevorw

Cucumber Seeds planting
« on: February 26, 2022, 14:13 »
Hi
I'm about to plant Diva cucumber seeds.  I live in Chesterfield, UK.  I'm planting them in 3" pots to start them off.  The seed is fairly flat and has a pointed end and a wider end, a bit like a teardrop.  So far, searching the web, I'v been advised to plant the seed:
  • pointy end up
  • pointy end down
[pointy end horizontal/list]
laying flat or
on edge
Any definitive advice? or does it not make the slightest bit of difference? :wacko:[/list]

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
Re: Cucumber Seeds planting
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2022, 14:19 »
The seeds will grow any way you place them.  The root comes out of the pointy end, so I usually either lay the seed flat or pointy end down. 

Are you growing in a greenhouse? 

If you intend to grow outdoors, be mindful of when you truly expect to have your last frost.  Plant based on your own judgement; you could be lucky with the weather, but take a risk that you will need to plant again if it gets too cold.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Trevorw

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2022, 14:32 »
Thanks for the response.  I'm sowing in a cold greenhouse next week, outdoors in late May, pointy end down!

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2022, 15:02 »
Even in a greenhouse they are unlikely to germinate so early in the year unless they are in a heated propagator - also, cukes are notorious for lacking the will to live if conditions aren't to their liking, especially when the plants are very young.

Early April is plenty soon enough to sow them round these parts (I'm only just up the road from you!)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2022, 16:11 »
Even in a greenhouse they are unlikely to germinate so early in the year unless they are in a heated propagator - also, cukes are notorious for lacking the will to live if conditions aren't to their liking, especially when the plants are very young.

Early April is plenty soon enough to sow them round these parts (I'm only just up the road from you!)
I agree, I don't usually sow mine until late April early May and they stay growing in the greenhouse.

Trevorw

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2022, 22:05 »
Thanks for your responses.  if you're nearby JayG then you will know we've just had a dusting of snow, so from your response and mumofstigs I don't think I'll be sowing the cukes till Early April then, say w/e 9th/10th.
Very grateful for you help.
 :)

Trevorw

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2022, 22:14 »
forgot to thank you for your initial response Subversive.  Much appreciated.

lettice

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2022, 07:26 »
Way to early to be growing cucumber seeds now in my view, despite what some packets say.

I sow my Cucumber and Gherkins end of March, early April in greenhouse.
I do though place the seed on its edge in a damp compost, about 1/4 inch below the surface.
Do not allow the compost to become too wet at this stage.
That has always worked for me. 
I always put one seed in a small pot and once it has made its second set of leaf, its time to plant outside or in the greenhouse final beds.

steven c

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2022, 08:05 »
agree with the others too early yet  just a thought we have started for the last few years chitting larger seeds
cucumber squash beans etc [takeaway container with damp tissue somewhere warm]  at least then you know you have viable seeds the germination rate is also much higher.  good luck
from bow like to grow

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2022, 14:28 »
Cucumbers, melons and squash grow quickly, so it may not help to plant this soon.

Where I am, it goes from winter to warm very quickly. We had snow on January 16 and -6 C on January 30, and less than a month later, it was 27 C on February 24, with no frost in the forecast through April.  If the forecast holds, my last frost date will be February 20 this year, whereas the average last frost date for my agricultural zone is April 15. I am experimenting with growing courgettes early because I think I may be able to get away with it this year  ::) (certainly not because I'd advise that to anyone else!  :lol:).  I am not always this lucky with the weather, we have had frosts in April, including last year.

Other posters are much closer to you than I am, so if I were you, I would rely on their advice as to what is a reasonable planting time.

I will say that I will now be trying just a few cucumbers early, inspired by this post; starting indoors, moving outdoors sometime in March.  We'll see what happens!

Trevorw

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2022, 15:39 »
Ok.  Thanks again all.
Now, about tomatoes... :)

xx
Cucumber planting help

Started by Deborah1 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 29, 2018, 16:47
by lettice
xx
planting out cucumber late...

Started by LiamB on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 01, 2016, 16:24
by BabbyAnn
xx
Cucumber seeds

Started by janiejakemum on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 24, 2009, 13:25
by Kristen
xx
cucumber seeds

Started by smellykipper on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 22, 2013, 12:44
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.382 seconds with 49 queries.