Chitting Seed Potatoes

• 8 Replies

Abunndance

Chitting Seed Potatoes
« on: February 24, 2022, 16:05 »
Hi Everyone!  I have Main Crop potatoes that arrived two weeks ago from the seed catalogue people.  I checked them this week, in their cool dark place and was surprised to see that they are chitting.  Is it okay for me to plant them out now?  I don't want them to get too far gone or they won't be any good.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated! ???

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Chitting Seed Potatoes
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2022, 16:19 »
Still too early to plant them out- unless you are planting in pots in a polytunnel
They need to be in the light, and cool but frost-free. By a shed window is usually a good place for them...

AndyRVTR

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2022, 16:29 »
Agree with MoS, they should be in a cool dry, light place so when they start chitting, the new shoots should be short and green unlike the long spindly white ones usually found on spuds when in a dark place.

rowlandwells

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2022, 09:08 »
we had our seed potatoes delivered about 3 weeks ago there in a cool frost free place in potato chitting trays and have  just started chitting ,nice small green shoots hopefully fingers crossed we can get planting out sometime next month

Abunndance

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2022, 09:21 »
Thank you!  I have several sheds to choose from and so they will be going out toot sweet!  I even have a nice tray to put them on.  Unfortunately the winds of late turned my polytunnel into a pretzel. 

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2022, 11:30 »
If the chits already produced are long and white due to lack of light, snap them off before putting them somewhere lighter - they will produce more, and healthier, short green/purple chits.

They won't 'spoil' by not being planted out - in previous years I've kept a few 'spares' chitting on a sunny bedroom windowsill until August (they were somewhat shrivelled but still perfectly OK for planting.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

lettice

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2022, 09:10 »
Just reiterating much of what has been said above.
Do not store your seed potatoes in the dark.
Lay them out, so they do not touch each other and allow to chit in the light and somewhere dry and cool.

If they have grown chits already and they are long and spindly and of a white or light pink colour, just carefully knock them off. They will grow back plenty of new chits during their chitting period.
See if you can get hold of some spare egg boxes, its the best way to chit potatoes, as it allows the air to flow around them nicely, keeps them separate and stops any dampness, that can happen if stored in plastic trays.

Abunndance

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2022, 12:33 »
Yesterday and today I put the seed potatoes out in the bright sunlight in the front garden.  I broke off the white leggy sprouts.  I brought them in last night, due to frost.  They are putting out green little sprouts all over ALREADY!  What a difference and literally overnight.  Thank you all so much for your brilliant advice.  I feel as though I've been given the key to abundance here!

Rob the rake

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2022, 23:45 »
Some time ago, I read an old gardening book which suggested that planting potatoes chitted in the dark and allowed to grow long shoots resulted in more and bigger potatoes. Bringing them into the light for a few days prior to planting hardens the shoots somewhat and ameliorates the tendency to break off when planted. It still requires some care to plant them without breaking off the shoots but it really does work! I've done it this way ever since.
A calloused palm and dirty fingernails precede a Green Thumb.

xx
Chitting seed potatoes

Started by Chicken Pete on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 04, 2011, 12:10
by DD.
xx
Chitting Seed Potatoes

Started by NOSKCAJ on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post February 21, 2011, 14:57
by DD.
xx
Seed potatoes already chitting in the bag!!

Started by greenhead on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post March 09, 2011, 07:35
by Kristen
xx
Chitting seed potatoes

Started by Chicken Pete on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 29, 2012, 11:55
by Lawrence

Page created in 0.455 seconds with 47 queries.