No dig & earth compaction.

• 14 Replies

Kleftiwallah

No dig & earth compaction.
« on: February 24, 2022, 13:37 »
Hello everyone,  what to do, what to do.  The ground in the greenhouse is 'snug' so I need to open it up a smidge which got me to thinking, what do the no diggers do in these circumstances?

Cheers,  tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

RecoveringAndy

Re: No dig & earth compaction.
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2022, 13:55 »
Organic material on the surface encourages the worms to come up and do their business. They do the digging.

snowdrops

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2022, 15:12 »
With no dig, Charles Dowding only recommends that ground is compacted if it has had very heavy machinery over it ,particularly in wet,muddy conditions I believe.  As per RecoveringAndy’s reply the worms do he opening up for you and this is helped by an addition of well rotted mulch on the top of the soil. The roots will find their way down into the soil. I find it very beneficial & it’s a fallacy that you need more mulch than traditional gardens would dig in. :)
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2022, 17:43 »
All of the above is true.

However, unless you consider "Thou shalt not till" to be a commandment, you can speed the process by shoving a spading fork down into the compacted "snug" material.  Flipping it over isn't essential, moving the fork back and forth enough to break the clods loose and create fissures can improve tilth and drainage.

You can get compaction from foot traffic, especially on wet soil with considerable clay content. Try digging a well-worn footpath on soil in your allotment, you'll see what I mean.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

steven c

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2022, 07:24 »
i suppose it depends if you walk on the beds ours are mainly 8x4 and we do not walk on them we just mulch with manure let nature do the rest  when lifting potatoes last year [desiree]  we did this by hand did not even need a fork  i know the arguements for and against no dig but it suits us and we dont seem to use more manure or other mulch than our plot neighbours who dig.
from bow like to grow

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2022, 09:53 »
Many thanks for those knowledgeble answers.
 :)  Cheers,  Tony.

rowlandwells

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2022, 17:09 »
it takes quite a time for our allotments to actually dry out to cultivate so we tend to leave it till we can walk on the ground without it sticking to your boots and we can afford to wait as our plants are raised in the greenhouses and poly tunnel

but when the plots have dried out I cultivate the ground with the tractor and cultivator and because its dried out we don't get any compaction I pull the ground down first of with my scuffle then roll it with the tractor wheels then go over the ground  one again with the scuffle and it comes down like an onion bed

but as I said you don't have to be impatient the ground must be dry or it will compact I say that from past experience's  :(

Snowboar

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2022, 16:40 »
Is it just me I’ve nothing against no dig but I enjoy digging I find it relaxing

rowlandwells

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2022, 18:07 »
not to worry snowboar I'm in you club  haven't got rid of the spade yet  :D

Snowboar

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2022, 16:49 »
I here ya Rowland here’s another point I were digging today I started collecting  on all the small bits of plastic I saw in a four meter by 2 spades width I collected a 9 inch plant pots worth of micro plastic pieces that’s a good thing about digging ya get to see what’s going on
« Last Edit: February 28, 2022, 17:53 by Snowboar »

rowlandwells

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2022, 19:17 »
keep on digging snowboar I hand dig all our raised beds and then plough all of the open ground with our tractor  before the winter sets in and let the winter weather do its work and as said the ground cultivates like an onion bed in spring compaction what compaction  :lol:

comfreykid

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2022, 19:41 »
Our allotments are on heavy clay and when  l got my plot the only bit that had perennial weeds was the old raspberry bed. That got deleted and l dug out all the bindweed with a fork. Since then l haven’t dug at all , growing on beds that l mulch around the year with bin compost , leaf mould , grass cuttings and some comfrey. I like digging but it would break my back ( and my heart ) to dig over the entire plot every year  , just to have it set solid with all the walking on it during the growing season . The other thing is l have masses of worms everywhere now !  :)

Blewit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2022, 08:33 »
Hello everyone,  what to do, what to do.  The ground in the greenhouse is 'snug' so I need to open it up a smidge which got me to thinking, what do the no diggers do in these circumstances?

Cheers,  tony.

I'm not saying everyone should do this (each and every gardener to his own etc.) but we would simply mulch the beds with two or three inches of homemade compost and let nature break up the compaction.
Naturally occurring bacteria and critters within the soil (including worms) will soon start the process and as mycorrhizal fungi arrives the glomalin it produces causes soil to form into crumb-like particles - not unlike fine gravel except it sticks together and is resistant to washing away, erosion or compaction.
We have wood chipped paths that haven't been dug for six years and I can push a half inch thick steel fence pin down by hand to the clay layer 18 inches below.
If you loosen the soil slightly before applying mulch it shatters any fungal strands already there and might ultimately slow the process of regaining the soils crumb-like structure.

PS - Having done this I found after just a few weeks the soil started to soften up below the mulch.

rowlandwells

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2022, 18:24 »
as I said in my previous replies I am in favour of digging or ploughing the ground but I did think we had problems with compaction several years ago because the ground was capping so to cut a long story short we experimented with several things ending up with using mainly wheat straw and horse manure that seemed to do the trick as we haven't seen the ground capping

and if your interested I've been looking at a site involved in using Japanese radish that I'm told improves the soil quality

the site details hhps;/www.everwild/japanese-minowild radish seedhtml sent to me by a fellow gardener

jambop

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2022, 18:45 »

I am a "Dowdingite" but after building my polytunnel I decided to fork the ground open prior to making my beds. The soil was badly compacted and I thought it better to get some air into it. It will be the one and only time but I think it was the right thing to do. My soil its incredibly shallow... eight inches before hitting a solid bed of impervious clay so I want to try to have the best I can above that.

xx
Soil compaction

Started by gardener247 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 30, 2010, 19:38
by sunshineband
xx
How soon to earth up?

Started by Snap Dragon on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 19, 2008, 23:19
by John
xx
what on earth?

Started by Beano on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 20, 2016, 20:25
by JoshP
xx
what on earth was that!!!

Started by purplebat on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 26, 2007, 18:29
by purplebat

Page created in 0.578 seconds with 51 queries.