Bean frame will it work this time

• 24 Replies

cc

Bean frame will it work this time
« on: February 12, 2022, 11:20 »
Last time I had Bird netting attached to the string. It was 10 millimetres. I assumed the beans if they went through would come back as the side I would pick from faces south. They didn't in the main because 10 millimetres is to small. I have doubled the string but I will not buy canes. Struggling to find sticks tall enough. I can find about 3 foot ones but only a few long ones. Do you think it will work with short ones just to get them on first string. Not got enough string to create a vertical for each plant. I also want to get my hands through to pull back any that decided to attach to the fence behind.
Views please.
PS do Broad beans need a frame. Neighbour gave me a few seeds but said they don't grow tall. Is there some that will grow to the top?
I assume broad beans are the ones you grow for the beans not the pods?
IMG_20220209_154243_788_compress59.jpg
IMG_20220209_154237_351_compress86.jpg
« Last Edit: February 12, 2022, 11:27 by cc »

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Bean frame will it work this time
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2022, 14:12 »
Your runners would benefit from having some vertical strings connecting the horizontal wires to twist round as they climb - cheap polypropylene twine would do the job, and you don't need to provide one per plant (they don't mind sharing if they have to, and have also got the posts to climb up.)

Broad beans are usually grown for the seeds, and in theory the shorter varieties in particular should be able to hold each other up - in practice, although my garden isn't particularly exposed, I do find they need some support (a few sticks and twine to help keep them more or less upright.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2022, 14:29 »
I agree with JayG regarding runner beans, also for French beans that are pole beans. the vertical strings could be something relatively light, like mason's twine, and doesn't need to be straight up-and-down. I'd zig-zag twine between the lowest horizontal on the support in your photo, go up to the top, with a twist around each horizontal in-between, reverse course and go back down again, and keep going.

Broad beans are generally not grown here, so I have no opinions on that, other than to say, follow JayG's advice.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

cc

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2022, 15:07 »
Thanks
Not sure what these strings are? I thought I was being hopefull about the verticals

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2022, 16:05 »
Adequate watering might be a bit of a problem with the water running down hill rather than sinking in and the competition from the strong plant growth on the other side of the fence could be detrimental.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2022, 16:06 »
Vertical or diagonal strings will work just fine  :)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

cc

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2022, 16:18 »
Just got 125 metres of twine for a £1 at Wilko's!
Wish I had bought that originally. Although I am not sure it would be strong enough for the full length.
I have weed suppresent at the back.
Don't get any water runoff
 I will try the zig zag idea for the verticals.
I think I will nip back to Wilko's and get another roll. Not sure 125 metres is enough.
Polypropylene twine
« Last Edit: February 12, 2022, 16:20 by cc »

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2022, 18:58 »
Polypropylene twine is very strong considering it's quite thin.
It eventually weakens due to sunlight exposure, but will easily do the job you want it to for a season.

Growster...

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2022, 07:16 »
Depending on how close you plant beans, they nearly always wind around each other, and even a wavy end will catch and cling to its neighbour eventually, so as long as you have a few verticals, you'll be fine!

cc

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2022, 12:21 »
I put the beans about 6 inches apart. Dug a trench. In the bottom is horse manure, not particularly well rotted. With my own compost on top of the horse manure and then the top soil put back. I am hoping that is sufficient nutrients to allow close spacing?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2022, 14:03 »
Manure and compost are not particularly nutrient rich; their benefit is mainly in improving soil structure, including water retention - which beans need a lot of.

Feeding later in the season once flowers have started to come would probably not hurt.

cc

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2022, 14:48 »
Manure and compost are not particularly nutrient rich; their benefit is mainly in improving soil structure, including water retention - which beans need a lot of.

Feeding later in the season once flowers have started to come would probably not hurt.

With??

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2022, 14:51 »
A liquid tomato feed

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2022, 15:05 »
I put the beans about 6 inches apart. Dug a trench. In the bottom is horse manure, not particularly well rotted. With my own compost on top of the horse manure and then the top soil put back. I am hoping that is sufficient nutrients to allow close spacing?

Have you put the seeds in the ground already, cc?   Runner beans are not frost hardy, we can get frosts until the end of April.

https://www.allotment-garden.org/vegetable/runner-beans-growing/

cc

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2022, 17:57 »
Have you put the seeds in the ground already, cc?   Runner beans are not frost hardy, we can get frosts until the end of April.

https://www.allotment-garden.org/vegetable/runner-beans-growing/

No I expect I will start seedlings off in greenhouse this week. Borlotti, green and purple French beans, haricot and this year broad beans.
Bit of disaster last year as some like haricot were going more sideways than up. Was finding them 20 plus feet from where I was growing them.

xx
Pea/bean frame

Started by Eblana on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post September 19, 2017, 19:55
by LosPollosHermanos
xx
Lottie Time Vs Work Time

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 10, 2007, 07:49
by crowndale
xx
My simple bean frame

Started by crackedflowerpots on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post February 09, 2008, 09:05
by crackedflowerpots
xx
Runner Bean Frame!

Started by kiwinicks on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 07, 2013, 23:18
by Totty

Page created in 0.555 seconds with 54 queries.