Bird seed suggestions?

• 3 Replies

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
Bird seed suggestions?
« on: February 05, 2022, 15:44 »
I wasn't sure where to post this, thought about "Bird Watch" . . . well, anyway . . .

I have a question about types of seed to add into a mix.

- I am already using black sunflower seed, and peanut halves, both of which are readily eaten.  So far, so good.

- My question is mostly about small seeds for small birds.  If I buy our usual bird seed blends from around here, the small seed included is usually millet; most of the millet is uneaten, and goes bad, sometimes spoiling other seed.  A seed called nyger (or nyger thistle) is often sold around here, for small finches, but apparently nobody told the finches.  Whether it is in a separate thistle feeder, or added to a blend, the (expensive) nyger is also left uneaten.

- Should I just not bother/worry about it, assuming the small birds are finding their own in the wild, thank you very much?  This might be my first inclination.

- Or is there another good ingredient to add to my sunflower and peanut mix?

Suggestions or thoughts appreciated.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Bird seed suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2022, 16:39 »
The only birds I get eating the niger seeds here are goldfiches. They love them and are constantly on the feeder I have them in.

I also buy robin mix in this country which is a mix of small seeds, peanut nibs, sunflower hearts and dried mealworms. Lots of birds like that from sparrows to the blackbirds.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2022, 18:12 »
The only birds I get eating the niger seeds here are goldfiches. They love them and are constantly on the feeder I have them in.

I also buy robin mix in this country which is a mix of small seeds, peanut nibs, sunflower hearts and dried mealworms. Lots of birds like that from sparrows to the blackbirds.

Thanks for that New Shoot.

The peanut nibs might be available at a specialty bird seed store not too far from me.

We have goldfinches too. They also pass over the nyger, usually taking the sunflower.  Maybe the nyger sold here is treated somehow differently before it is sold?

grinling

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2022, 21:17 »
are birds concerned with the openess of the table as there might not be enough cover to escape to if needed.

xx
Where do you get your bird feed / seed?

Started by Yorkie on Chatting on the Plot

5 Replies
Last post May 12, 2024, 09:33
by madcat
xx
What is this bird ?

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post August 27, 2019, 08:45
by 8doubles
xx
Bird watch

Started by New shoot on Chatting on the Plot

151 Replies
Last post May 28, 2024, 17:18
by Subversive_plot
clip
Bees in the bird box...

Started by Growster... on Chatting on the Plot

7 Replies
Last post May 09, 2020, 05:15
by Growster...

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 41 queries.