grow tubes

• 7 Replies

rowlandwells

grow tubes
« on: November 24, 2021, 16:11 »
grow tubes made from recycled textile and paper fibre said to be 100% biodegadable so I though I mite try some then I couldn't decide what to put in them being the first time I intend to use them maybe  parsnips because the tubes  are quite deep and may be better for the parsnip tap root  to develop ?

so if in doubt as I am why not ask the professional gardeners on site for there advise what should I try in my grow tubes and don't say weeds  :D will it be parsnips or what do you suggest as a first time tube grower replies much appreciated as I've had an ear bashing for buying them from my other half  >:(

so its basically HELP :dry:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: grow tubes
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2021, 18:00 »
They're no good for parsnips IMO. The tubes take a long while to rot, after they get planted, and that restricts the size of the parsnip, which can't grow wider than the tube was. Well that's what happened when I tried them here.
Plus even though they are a bit longer, you still have to plant the parsnips out before the root hits the bottom, or they fork, fussy beggars ::)
I used the last few for sweet peas, and never bought any more....

8doubles

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2021, 18:43 »
Never had a problem with kitchen towel tubes , they degrade fast after getting wet and are certainly not going to stop a Gladiator growing !
I like the price too ! :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2021, 19:19 »
.... they degrade fast after getting wet and are certainly not going to stop a Gladiator growing !
Not in my experience, or I wouldn't have written what I did, but we can agree to differ....

8doubles

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2021, 21:22 »
.... they degrade fast after getting wet and are certainly not going to stop a Gladiator growing !
Not in my experience, or I wouldn't have written what I did, but we can agree to differ....
Never had a problem, the top of the tube may linger if sticking out of the ground but subsoil it rots fairly fast .
Being a skinfint i only buy the cheapest kitchen rolls , more expensive brands may have better quality tubes which are not so flimsy . ;)

GraciesGran

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2021, 07:28 »
I use the tube from loo roll for runners, French beans and sweet peas.  Never had any problem and they are the right price. 

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2021, 09:30 »
I use the tube from loo roll for runners, French beans and sweet peas.  Never had any problem and they are the right price.
I do sometimes use them (when I run out of pots) for beans and sweet peas, as you say  :)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2021, 10:59 »
I suspect one of the reasons people have different experiences with paper or cardboard pots is soil type - the top few inches of my sandy soil dries out quickly, and despite making sure the tops are below soil level I've discovered more than just fragments of the paper pots used to start off my runner beans still there at the end of the growing season.  :ohmy:

That doesn't seem to affect the growth of the beans (the pots are bottomless), but I wouldn't risk using them for parsnips where I am.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

question
strawberries in tubes

Started by redwine@roses on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 19, 2010, 23:34
by Paul Plots
xx
seeds in tubes

Started by 10dahlia on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 30, 2010, 13:33
by unconcerned
xx
leeks in tubes

Started by loobs61 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 01, 2011, 11:03
by loobs61
xx
Carrots in tubes?

Started by Snap Dragon on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 17, 2008, 23:20
by gobs

Page created in 0.416 seconds with 48 queries.