Sweetcorn

• 5 Replies

chris mutter

Sweetcorn
« on: October 19, 2021, 10:11 »
I planted around 20 plants which yielded 2/3 Cobs per plant, never grown them before. I have pulled a few off  some having the yellow Corn others look like the seed pods are there but No yellow fruit ?. The Farmers I use as a guide have been Harvesting, so timing is right. Any ideas why I have No corn in some and others Ok. Thank You Chris. 

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Sweetcorn
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2021, 10:31 »
The ones with no corn have probably not been pollinated :(
Perhaps there was bad weather when the flower head at the top opened?
Did you plant the corn in a block or in a row, as they pollinate each other much better in a block. In a row the pollen just gets blown away on the slightest breeze.

jezza

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2021, 11:03 »
Hello you need to harvest your sweetcorn when you can get milk out of the seed,if you leave them till the farmers start harvesting the cobs will be hard and inedible,  jezza

chris mutter

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2021, 15:16 »
mumofstig, I planted them in a block square 2 feet apart, jezza, Thank You my main reason for planting was for feeding my Parrots, Geese and Chickens, it would save me buying for food. Thank You to you both,

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2021, 15:53 »
Try them closer together next year, 15 - 18ins should be fine. Poor results this year may just have been the weird weather, in any case  ::)

Stewarty

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2021, 23:34 »
One of my aims each year is to provide fresh sweetcorn feasts for the extended family from late July until early October. Well this year, with the bizarre weather we had in spring and early summer, I missed my July target - first feast wasn't until about 10 August. But, amazingly, we're still harvesting sweetcorn now. Today, 22 October, I brought home cobs where the kernels were more white than yellow, and a bit on the small side, but beautifully juicy and sweet tasting. There are about a dozen cobs left on that last square of planting, and I'm hoping to collect then on Tuesday 26th, for my son's 50th birtygay supper. Just hopimg the muntjac deer or the sqirrels etc etc etc don't get them first...

xx
Sweetcorn

Started by Robin Redbreast on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 22, 2012, 21:25
by poohpouri
xx
Sweetcorn

Started by wapello on Grow Your Own

29 Replies
Last post August 20, 2016, 22:58
by honeymelon
xx
Sweetcorn again

Started by 4th season allot on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 07, 2020, 08:42
by New shoot
xx
Sweetcorn

Started by alwayshopeful on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 26, 2009, 14:19
by alwayshopeful

Page created in 0.334 seconds with 46 queries.