Eating crops after a flood

• 3 Replies
Eating crops after a flood
« on: August 23, 2021, 11:25 »
We had a flash flood 6 weeks ago, with our garden under a foot of water for a couple of hours. We are unsure of what contaminants were in the water, so I've discarded everything that was directly in the ground (radish, spring onions etc), but I don't know about my tomatoes, runner beans and squashes. The fruits, such as were were back then, did not come into direct contact with the water as each plant is in a large pot. There seems to be conflicting views out there on whether these crops are safe to eat now that we are getting close to harvest time. It would be a shame to discard these as the tomatoes in particular look like they will be a bumper crop this year! If anyone has any thoughts, I'd be grateful.

Re: Eating crops after a flood
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2021, 14:14 »
Hi jambop, thanks for your reply. i will be washing everything thoroughly, but I guess what I should have added in the original post was whether there's a danger that contaminants are draw up into the plants and fruit through the roots.

Nobbie

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2021, 14:33 »
Hi jambop, thanks for your reply. i will be washing everything thoroughly, but I guess what I should have added in the original post was whether there's a danger that contaminants are draw up into the plants and fruit through the roots.

I doubt it. If there was a specific issue with leaking chemicals the environment agency would have issued an alert. Most likely contaminant is sewage, but very diluted and would act more as a fertiliser as any nasty pathogens wouldn’t get into the plant through the roots.

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2021, 16:00 »
Thank you guys, very resassuring!

xx
Before and After the flood

Started by Jim T on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 16, 2007, 23:46
by Jim T
xx
My flood plain !

Started by Thamesmeadhammer on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 23, 2010, 20:25
by Trillium
xx
Drought, Flood and now a plague.

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post July 20, 2010, 14:34
by aelf
xx
What to plant in flood prone area

Started by WendysLot on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post November 10, 2012, 14:42
by Trillium

Page created in 2.06 seconds with 40 queries.