Tromboncino

• 5 Replies

JayG

• Global Moderator
Tromboncino
« on: August 17, 2021, 21:19 »
First time growing Tromboncino, and have a few very interestingly shaped fruits already (pic.)

Just realised I haven't the foggiest idea what to do with them, especially as I'm already experiencing neighbour-avoidance syndrome with conventional courgettes!

What will happen next (summer squash, winter squash?  :unsure:)
IMG_20210817_171303.jpg
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

snowdrops

Re: Tromboncino
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2021, 21:55 »
Well done, I’ve been wanting to try these for awhile & was delighted when a fellow plotter offered me one, unfortunately it turned out to be a run of the mill spiky cucumber (as if I needed any more cucumbers, as that is my glut this year)  :lol: so I pulled it out! Along with the 2 ‘melons’ that I was sent seed for.....they were cucumbers too  :lol: :lol:
« Last Edit: August 17, 2021, 21:56 by snowdrops »
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2021, 23:20 »
The thing is they taste a bit different to courgettes, more like a winter squash (they'll even keep like one if left to grow and ripened properly) and they only have seeds in the fat end of the trombone, if at all. Some of mine haven't got any fat ends this year, presumably they didn't get pollinated? Who knows...
I tend to use mine cut into layers to replace pasta sheets in lasagne or sliced and fried with onion and peppers as a side.
A few more recipes here https://figjamandlimecordial.com/2013/08/14/one-giant-tromboncino/

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2021, 20:37 »
Picked small (diameter of your thumb or smaller) they are like a firmer, more 'nutty' courgette, or crookneck squash. They are quite prolific if they can ramble along a sturdy fence or extra-large trellis.

I may try them again next year, or the year after, as I'm done growing courgettes to feed to vine borers (tromboncinos are resistant).
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Russell Atterbury

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2021, 09:12 »
I'm a bit late to the chat, but as you can see, my tromboncino finally took off with a vengeance. And everyone loves them....(easily enough for sharing)
tromboncino 2.jpg
tromboncino 3.jpg
tromboncino 4.jpg
tromboncino 1.jpg

Potterer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2021, 07:58 »
Hi. I’m giving away plenty of Trombocino but also find that it freezes well in dishes- as it’s firmer it holds up much better than ordinary courgettes. People I give them to often put them round their necks or on their heads decoratively- lots of fun !

xx
Tromboncino

Started by Stringbags on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 18, 2016, 20:04
by mumofstig
xx
Hopefully Tromboncino.

Started by Russell Atterbury on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post February 22, 2021, 17:48
by Yorkie
xx
Tromboncino, something wrong?

Started by Russell Atterbury on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 29, 2021, 12:04
by Russell Atterbury
xx
Courgette Tromboncino

Started by mashauk on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 26, 2009, 22:24
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.302 seconds with 44 queries.