Composting wood shreddings and leaves

• 13 Replies

Goosegirl

Composting wood shreddings and leaves
« on: August 17, 2021, 10:56 »
I have a big heap of shreddings which were done last year and it has lessened in height since then. The top consists of small twigs which I plan to re-shred and what lies underneath I'll spread over the bed along our conifer hedge. When I do my re-shredding should I put them in a compost bin with a lid or without? Last autumn I had a huge amount of oak leaves all over the garden so this year I'm going to shred those as well. Should I add them to this bin or should I use another bin, again with or without a lid? I know you can either put the leaves in a bin bag and puncture the sides or in an open cage made of chicken wire, but I do mean I get a lot of leaves and don't think I have the room.

I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
Re: Composting wood shreddings and leaves
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2021, 21:25 »
When composting materials that are low nitrogen (wood shreds, twigs, brown leaves, etc.) I like to add in materials with higher nitrogen to speed decomposition (manure, "green manure" crops, grass clippings, etc.).  You can add fertilizer if you don't have much high-nitrogen green materials available, a good way to use up fertilizer that has gotten too damp to spread well.

[The paragraph above was edited slightly, at the request of the Department of Redundancy Department  :wacko: :nowink: :tongue2:]

All of my compostables go into a compost bin made of old plastic landscape lattice (photo).  I have a big bin (in photo, 40 inch diameter x 48 inches tall), and a small one that is a third of that size. The small bin is my "first stage" bin, when that is filled I flip everything into the big bin to aerate and mix the compost, and decompose longer. The bins are open at top, sides and bottom, directly contact the soil so earthworms and insects can get in to help decomposition.  I would recommend such a bin (skip the lid).

In any composter, wood can take a while to break down.  If you are not screening the compost to separate coarse materials, you may want to use that woody compost where the wood bits are less important (under your hedge or shrubs maybe OK, but using for carrots right away may not be as good).
16292316283801110643718.jpg
« Last Edit: August 18, 2021, 18:47 by Subversive_plot »
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2021, 05:46 »
Some years ago, I rebuilt a compost bin from the sort of insulated panels that industrial buildings are constructed from - i.e. the ribbed steel-sided warehouses etc. I got them because, funnily enough, my company made them and there were always offcuts...

The first year, we spent ages filling one side (4' x 4' x 3' high) with new horse manure, then covered it and left it to rot down for the next year. It got so hot - even on the outside of a 2" thick double-skinned insulated panel - that we couldn't even touch it! The following year, we opened it up to use it, and it had reduced by two thirds, and didn't really go very far...

So to get to the point, I was thinking about the issue you describe, Goosey, and wondered about the sort of bin that Marshalls do - the Hotbin Mk 2 https://marshallsgarden.com/products/hotbin-mk2-new-and-improved-10906049?variant=31308735840307&currency=GBP&ds_rl=1278790&ds_rl=1284267&ds_rl=1278790&ds_rl=1284267&gclid=Cj0KCQjwvO2IBhCzARIsALw3ASqYVEN-tCPSpJbkBHsDWLvV7paB8HTZ71SeheKu3z2kYkQJKBYFThcaAq92EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds (sorry about the size of the link - they started it), and the spec says that they can take wood chippings as a 'bulk'.

But, looking at the price, is it really worth it; so had I been in your situation with piles of twigs etc., they could easily have been added to my old horse manure, and would have broken down well in all that heat!

I suppose this doesn't answer your question directly, but if you can somehow insulate your wooden bins, or even get something similar, you may well help your issue!

Our council has suspended 'green' collections because they have no drivers, so I have piles of old prunings etc., everywhere, and I may well just try and burn the lot, but that's not the name of the game really...

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2021, 14:20 »
Thanks all for that. The bins I inherited are five grey plastic ones from the local council, one of which has lost its lid. Three contain horse manure and I've added my dead-headings to one of them. I will add and mix some of the smaller twigs to them, use the more rotted stuff on my hedge border, then wait until the bigger stuff has dried so I can shred it and add to an empty bin. Not one for garden gadgets at all but I'm thinking of getting a big leaf grabber as it will save a lot of time, effort, and backache in collecting them. When I do I'll shred them as well and add them to the bin with the recent shreddings.

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2021, 15:08 »
I guess there's no alternative, Goosey...

Here, I prune the kids, and just drop the prunings to the ground, as well as the hedge trimmings. They rot down ever so easily, and mulch the weeds, so that by Springtime, I have a lovely path to wander around, and sort out the nasties! The Primroses love it and so do lots of other wild flowers!

It also reduces the noise from the idiots racing away on the road nearby...

jezza

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2021, 12:33 »
Hello some leaf mould made 2019 2020,a mixture of Poplar Walnut Crab apple leaves all shredded with a rotary mower and bagged it only takes 3 to 4 months to get good stuff      jezza
20200827_133921(0).jpg

Goosegirl

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2021, 14:12 »
Ah, that'll save me getting a grabber and trying to stuff them down the shredder. Thanks.

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2021, 19:06 »
I bet you're a fab gal down the disco, Goosey...;0)

Goosegirl

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2021, 14:06 »
Sure is. Give me a chance to get my best togs and some slap on and I'm hot to trot :D!

Growster...

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2021, 08:16 »
Our old chum Trillium here, posted this some time ago, but I reckon it's you...

https://youtu.be/mz3CPzdCDws

Goosegirl

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2021, 14:22 »
Oh yes. I have that saved in a folder to play at full belt when OH is out.

Growster...

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2021, 17:38 »
Oh yes. I have that saved in a folder to play at full belt when OH is out.

It's fabulous, Goosey, and a great pick-me-up, so when you're on screen, I'll try and do a twirl or whatever...

;0)

Goosegirl

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2021, 14:00 »
Only one?

Growster...

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2021, 18:02 »
Fred Astaire I'm not these days - sadly...:0~

Rita was such a fabulous dancer though, I can watch that any time and feel much better!

question
composting sawdust and wood ash

Started by Greek Gardener on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 21, 2011, 11:20
by Lindeggs
xx
Composting Rhubarb Leaves?

Started by squiffy2 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 08, 2008, 16:13
by purplebat
xx
Composting Onion Leaves - Yes Or No?

Started by MickyB on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 04, 2013, 18:54
by MickyB
xx
Composting brassica leaves

Started by Hey Jude on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 19, 2011, 22:11
by Hey Jude

Page created in 0.535 seconds with 43 queries.