Green Manuring

• 3 Replies

Clive63

Green Manuring
« on: July 30, 2021, 11:27 »
Does anyone have any good suggestions about the use of green manure use.

I took over an allotment last year, and although I have had some good crops from it, I am recovering from back surgery so unable to do any heavy work at present, so unable to do any heavy digging or move around barrow loads of manure until 2022.

I though once crops were out I would just lightly work the top and sow green manure(s) to overwinter.

Any thought on the best types? I have seen clubroot this year, so will avoid any brassica ones. Soil is good heavish loam with pH around 7.0.

Do folk every spray off green manure with Glyphosate prior to digging in?  might aid or accelerate decomposition and aid digging?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Green Manuring
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2021, 20:15 »
Welcome to the forums  :D

I avoid grazing rye as it's a bit of a pig to dig in and doesn't decompose easily in the soil. Phacelia is a popular green manure.  Clover too.

I would try to avoid weedkiller if your back is up to digging the plant into the soil before flowering in the spring.  If you think about it, a green manure serves two purposes: 1) to protect the soil / prevent weed growth; 2) return nutrients to the soil upon decomposition.  If you kill the plants then you lose out on 2).

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2021, 22:43 »
I use Phacelia, here, when/if we get a hard frost the top dies back and I just leave the roots to rot in situ and fork over lightly in spring as I can't manage much digging (bad back!)
If the tops don't get frosted enough to kill, I just strim the tops off and leave it to wither on the soil. Literally chop and drop composting. You can do this with mustard or spinach as well, if you have any seeds left in your seed box.

rowlandwells

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2021, 08:16 »
I must admit the green manures I've sown being mustard I've ploughed in or turned in as per the catalogue advise as i understand this is the most effective way to return nutrients to the soil however it does supress the weeds but I've never took to spray green manure i have to say anyway have a look around and find the best that will do the job for you have a look at sow seeds site they give good info on green manures hope you have a good recovery with your back and ready for next season good luck take care

xx
green manure

Started by muddifoot on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post July 21, 2008, 12:15
by daz
xx
Green chrysanths?

Started by A. Fallowfield on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post March 12, 2010, 16:43
by tosca100
xx
Green flowers

Started by peapod on General Gardening

29 Replies
Last post May 16, 2011, 18:29
by lancashiregardeninggal
question
Green algae

Started by Pretty Chick on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post June 12, 2010, 10:14
by JayG

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 31 queries.